MCNP - Tallies definition with "<"

In summary, the conversation is about the use of the "<" symbol in the MCNP manual for defining tallies. The person asking the question is confused about its meaning and is looking for clarification. The expert explains that "<" is used as a logical operator and is commonly used to specify elements in repeated structures built with universe/fill. They also mention that the manual provides a not-so-great explanation in section 5.9.1.5.
19matthew89
TL;DR Summary
Examples of tallies definition with logical operator "<" but I don't know what it means.
Hi everyone,

In MCNP manual there are often examples of Listing containing examples of tallies which have, in the definition of the cells/surfaces of the tally itself, the "<" symbol. I could not find in the document any reference to the use of logical expression in the definition of tallies (assuming "<" is actually used as a logical operator).

Could you please tell me what it means?

Referring to the last version of the manual (MCNP® Code Version 6.3.0 Theory & User Manual) the first example of use in a Listing is for Listing 5.13 but it appears in several other listing (e.g. Listing 5.51 or Listing 6.2).

Thanks a lot in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I actually stared at the example for about 10 mins completely clueless, before realising I'd used these myself. That is a such an unhelpful fragment. < means within and [x y z], which you'd commonly see with it, means part of a lattice. They are for specifying elements in repeated structures built with universe/fill.

See "5.9.1.5 Repeated Structures Tallies" for not a great explanation.

Likes Grelbr42 and 19matthew89
Thanks a lot!

Likes Alex A