MCNPX - Question in SDEF card about AXS and EXT

In summary, the conversation is about setting limits for the x and y axis using the "axs" and "ext" commands. The code provided uses a rectangular parallel beam model to define the limits for x and y. The person also asks if there is any difference in results when using a cone model for this scenario. The response is that the difference would be low because the angle and energy are both low.
Alexander Camargo
My code version is 2.7

I have a disk source of R=0.3 cm, 60 cm above in z axis. I want set limits for the x and y axis, but, I can only put one command "axs" and "ext". How can i define two limits with one command?

my code it is like this
SDEF pos=0 0 60 rad=d1 axs=1 0 0 ext=d2 PAR=2 ERG=0.018 VEC=0 0 1 DIR=-1
SI1 0 0.3
SP1 -21 1
SI2 -1 9
SP2 0 1

i want define x to -1 to 9, and y to 9 to 9.

Like this
upload_2018-10-24_21-5-38-png.png

Help me in the question, please.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-24_21-5-38-png.png
    upload_2018-10-24_21-5-38-png.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 525
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,
for my part I will simplified with a rectagular parallel beam:
sdef par=P pos 0 0 -60 axs 0 0 1 ext 0 vec 0 0 1 dir 1 erg 1 &
X=d1 y=d2 Z=0
Si1 -1 9
sp1 0 1
Si2 -9 9
sp2 0 1
In YX plan it gives :

upload_2018-11-2_11-20-35.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-2_11-20-35.png
    upload_2018-11-2_11-20-35.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 550
Hi, I'm using the same model as yours. do you know if there is any difference in results the cone model, for this?

very thanks.

The difference must be low because the angle is less than 10 deg and the Energy is very low (18 keV)

Related to MCNPX - Question in SDEF card about AXS and EXT

1. What is the purpose of the AXS and EXT options in the SDEF card in MCNPX?

The AXS and EXT options in the SDEF card allow the user to specify the axis and extent of a surface source in the MCNPX simulation. This allows for more precise control over the location and size of the source, which can be helpful in simulating complex geometries.

2. How do I determine the correct values to use for AXS and EXT in the SDEF card?

The values for AXS and EXT will depend on the specific geometry and source location in your simulation. It is important to carefully review the geometry and source definitions in your input file to determine the appropriate values to use. You may also want to consult the MCNPX user manual for more information on using the SDEF card.

3. Can I use both AXS and EXT options in the SDEF card at the same time?

Yes, you can use both AXS and EXT options in the SDEF card at the same time. However, be sure to carefully review the input file to ensure that the values for these options do not conflict with each other and create unexpected results in the simulation.

4. Are the AXS and EXT options required in the SDEF card?

No, the AXS and EXT options are not required in the SDEF card. If they are not specified, the source will default to a point source at the origin of the specified axis.

5. Can I use the AXS and EXT options with any type of source in MCNPX?

Yes, the AXS and EXT options can be used with any type of source in MCNPX. This includes particle, surface, volume, and point sources. However, the values for AXS and EXT may need to be adjusted depending on the type of source being used.