Mean Physics Teacher: Is This Fair?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a physics teacher who is known for giving difficult exams and having a challenging teaching style. Many students complain about his exams, but others appreciate the push to learn and prepare for college. The teacher's response is that physics should be hard and his exams are meant to separate the dedicated students from the rest. Some students appreciate this while others find it elitist. Overall, the teacher is respected for his teaching style and focus on higher level thinking.
How many people right now are working on a "root-mean-square" joke?

one...

Science news on Phys.org
BobG said:
This I don't understand. What's the goal of including these type of questions? Are they easy questions just to make sure the students are reading ahead instead of studying solely for the upcoming exam? Or are these really just questions solvable by what you've already learned, but just presented in a different environment that leads into what you're getting ready to study?

Well this was in calculus one, and I actually got the highest score on that exam, which was an "F". The questions on the exam were not essentially "hard," but we did not learn the material yet. We learned transcendental differentiation and she tested on that, but also included implicit differentiation, which was a couple of chapters ahead...so definitely not something we could have solved with what we learned. This is still a pattern in the class with exercises, and occasionally on exams, although not as drastic as the aforementioned exam. I have not asked her why she does this.

HeLiXe said:
Well this was in calculus one, and I actually got the highest score on that exam, which was an "F". The questions on the exam were not essentially "hard," but we did not learn the material yet. We learned transcendental differentiation and she tested on that, but also included implicit differentiation, which was a couple of chapters ahead...so definitely not something we could have solved with what we learned. This is still a pattern in the class with exercises, and occasionally on exams, although not as drastic as the aforementioned exam. I have not asked her why she does this.

I wonder if she realizes that when they come out with a new edition of a textbook, sometimes they move stuff around.

In my textbook, they put Newton's method in a fairly late chapter for some reason, which meant it wasn't taught until Calc 2. Their next edition moved it earlier in the book (which I thought made more sense). Fortunately, I had the same teacher for both Calc 1 and Calc 2, so he knew what material he'd taught most of the students the quarter before and knew what material he hadn't. However, for students that didn't take those two classes back to back for some reason - they'd skip right past Newton's method and never learn it.

kraphysics said:
One thing about him is that he is not a mean person. He helps people with questions and is generally pretty nice. It's just that his exams are brutal and the questions are completely different from what we studied. He insists on making questions that require "higher level thinking", whatever that means.

It sounds like your instructor is doing an excellent job in preparing you for studies in any respectable university.

I think high school teachers who don't challenge students on the same level as university professors are doing them a huge disservice. Hand-holding produces ill-prepared students, no matter what subject they're studying. Embrace his style; he's doing you a favor. You need to become an independent learner and think of the teacher/professor as a guide. This perspective will help you in college, trust me.

Chi Meson said:
How many people right now are working on a "root-mean-square" joke?

one...

That gets you a +1 Urkel point!