Mean value(centroid) of a collection of vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mean value or centroid of a collection of vectors in high euclidean space. The person is seeking help for a machine learning algorithm and wants to add new vectors based on cosine similarity to the mean value/centroid. They have found a resource that may be helpful in their search.
daveronan
If I have a collection of vectors in very high euclidean space(n=72). How do I find the mean value of all the vectors? Maybe I'm using the incorrect terminology. Maybe I want to find the centroid of where all these vectors are?? I'm working on a machine learning algorithm. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm essentially looking a for a vector that would give a good indication of where all the other vectors are clustered together. I hope to add new vectors to this group based on cosine similarity of the new vector and the mean value.

Related to Mean value(centroid) of a collection of vectors

1. What is the mean value (centroid) of a collection of vectors?

The mean value (centroid) of a collection of vectors is the central point or average location of all the vectors in the collection. It is calculated by adding up all the vectors and dividing by the total number of vectors.

2. Why is the mean value (centroid) important in vector analysis?

The mean value (centroid) is important in vector analysis because it represents the overall direction and magnitude of the vectors in a collection. It can also be used to determine the center of mass or center of gravity in physical systems.

3. How is the mean value (centroid) calculated?

The mean value (centroid) is calculated by adding up all the vectors in a collection and dividing by the total number of vectors. This can be done by finding the sum of the x-coordinates and dividing by the number of vectors, then doing the same for the y-coordinates and z-coordinates (if applicable).

4. Can the mean value (centroid) be outside of the collection of vectors?

Yes, the mean value (centroid) can be outside of the collection of vectors. This can happen if the vectors in the collection have different magnitudes or are not evenly distributed. In this case, the centroid will represent the overall direction and magnitude of the vectors, but may not be located within the collection itself.

5. How can the mean value (centroid) be used in real-world applications?

The mean value (centroid) can be used in a variety of real-world applications such as determining the center of mass in a physical system, analyzing the direction and magnitude of wind patterns, calculating the average location of a group of objects, and more. It is a useful tool in understanding and visualizing data represented by vectors.