Measuring voltage and capacitance of capacitors in parallel? how do?

In summary, the speaker is hooking up six 450v 10000uf capacitors in parallel for a school experiment under supervision. They are seeking advice on how to monitor the devices and determine when they are fully charged and when to release them. There is a concern about safety and the speaker's education and expertise level is unknown. The suggestions given include creating a voltage divider and using a DC voltage transducer for isolation. It is also mentioned that the capacitors may already be charged and there is a high cost for proper monitoring and control.
namlooc
im hooking up 6 450v 10000uf capacitors in parallel for an exparement for school (under supervision of my professor) he won't tell me how to monitor these devices and how to know when they are full and when to release them.
does anyone think they could give me a quick and dirty answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
namlooc said:
im hooking up 6 450v 10000v capacitors ...

Uh ... what is a 450v 10000v cap ? ONE of those "v"s has got to be wrong.

phinds said:
Uh ... what is a 450v 10000v cap ? ONE of those "v"s has got to be wrong.
sorry i missed that it should by 450v and 10000uf each

What do you know about charging capacitors?
What measurable property/s of the circuit will change once the caps are charged?
Can you use a multimeter to measure those property/s?

450V,10000 μF must be an electrolytic cap. Watch out for polarity of these

I hope you teacher has been thorough in the health and safety instructions he's given you. There's a lot of energy (lethal) in one of those capacitors, when charged. (Can you calculate it?) Also, discharging one through a short circuit could damage it.
Before we go any further, it would be useful to know your level of education and expertise - or we could be talking well above or below that level.

The down and dirty ( and relativity safe) is to make a voltage divider(I would throw in a fuse for good measure - no pun intended). -- You should not be applying a meter to this assembly manually, there is too much energy there.

You can also buy a DC voltage transducer - that would provide isolation. ( PhoenixContact has one for ~$600)

What you will find in this type of assembly is the parts are relatively simple and inexpensive - however the interface, control and monitoring costs are high.

Beware.. the capacitors might be charged already.

Related to Measuring voltage and capacitance of capacitors in parallel? how do?

1. How do I measure the voltage and capacitance of capacitors in parallel?

To measure the voltage and capacitance of capacitors in parallel, you will need a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the capacitance function and connect the positive lead to one capacitor and the negative lead to the other capacitor. The voltage can be measured by connecting the multimeter in parallel with the capacitors.

2. What is the purpose of measuring voltage and capacitance of capacitors in parallel?

Measuring the voltage and capacitance of capacitors in parallel allows us to determine the total capacitance and voltage across the parallel circuit. This information is important for designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.

3. What is the difference between measuring capacitance and voltage in series vs parallel?

When measuring in series, the capacitors are connected end to end and the total capacitance is equal to the sum of individual capacitances. In parallel, the capacitors are connected side by side and the total capacitance is equal to the sum of individual capacitances.

4. How can I ensure accurate measurements when measuring voltage and capacitance of capacitors in parallel?

To ensure accurate measurements, make sure the capacitors are fully discharged before measuring. Also, check the accuracy of your multimeter and use the appropriate range for the values being measured.

5. What are some common sources of error when measuring voltage and capacitance of capacitors in parallel?

Some common sources of error include using a damaged or malfunctioning multimeter, not fully discharging the capacitors before measurement, and using the wrong range on the multimeter. It is also important to make sure the capacitors are connected correctly and there are no loose connections.