Mechanics Particular Wheel Problem

In summary: If you wanted to write the problem in terms of rotation about the centre of the wheel plus a translation you could, but I suspect it would be much more complicated.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rolling wheel and the forces acting on it. There is confusion about the behavior of the wheel and how it affects the equations and calculations. The point of rotation is discussed, with the conclusion that the point of contact with the ground is the point of rotation. The direction of friction and the application of the force are also mentioned. The question asks for an explanation of the differences in procedures between this problem and a similar one with a normal wheel, as well as clarification on the application of the force.
Marvin94
http://www.uzapping.eu/upload/P3.jpg

Homework Equations

:
Only Moment's formulas (I think) or Eventually Euler's Law[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

:
It's supposed to be an easy problem. But I just don't understand the mechanism and the meaning of the angle on the bottom. So I don't know how to set the problem and how to proceed.
[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the question? And the image appears to be blank.

Marvin94 said:
It's supposed to be an easy problem. But I just don't understand the mechanism and the meaning of the angle on the bottom. So I don't know how to set the problem and how to proceed.
The angle at the bottom is the slope of the line through the point of contact with the ground and tangential to the inner circle.
For rolling wheel questions, it can help to use the fact that the instantaneous centre of rotation is the point of contact of the wheel on the ground.

OK, I got the image.
What are the forces acting when the wheel is in equilibrium?
which forces provide a torque?
What will be the direction of friction?

Thanks for your replies. For everyone don't see the image, the link is: http://www.uzapping.eu/upload/P3.jpg

However... I know that in order to find the equilibrium condition, the Moment should be equals to zero.
But what make me confused are manly these things:
- The particular behaviour of this wheel: I ask myself how this behaviour could change the equations or the calculation. So if someone has enough patience, it would be nice to understand the difference in the procedures between this problem, and the same one but with a normal wheel (which means, the direction of rotation simply follow the tangential force).
- Why should I choose the bottom point as point of rotation and not the centre of the wheel?
- Where exactly should be applied this force? On a point on the circle? Make it differences if it's applied in another point? The point is not given.

Often for me the real problem is to "understand what happens in the problem's situation". Thank you in advance.

Ps: Sometimes I also don't see the pictures with Firefox, but using Chrome it's ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marvin94 said:
- Why should I choose the bottom point as point of rotation and not the centre of the wheel?
You would not be choosing it as the point of rotation, it is the point of rotation. You can think of it as rotation about the centre of the wheel plus a linear movement, but if you ask what point is momentarily stationary the answer is the part of the wheel in contact with the ground.

Related to Mechanics Particular Wheel Problem

1. What is the Mechanics Particular Wheel Problem?

The Mechanics Particular Wheel Problem is a theoretical problem in classical mechanics that involves finding the motion of a wheel rolling on a surface without slipping.

2. What is the significance of the Mechanics Particular Wheel Problem?

The Mechanics Particular Wheel Problem is important because it allows us to study the relationship between rotational and translational motion, as well as the concept of rolling without slipping. It also has practical applications in engineering, such as designing wheels for vehicles.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Mechanics Particular Wheel Problem?

The problem assumes that the wheel is a perfect circle, the surface is completely smooth, and that there is no external force acting on the wheel except for gravity. It also assumes that the wheel is rolling without slipping, meaning that the point of contact between the wheel and the surface is stationary.

4. How is the Mechanics Particular Wheel Problem solved?

The problem can be solved using Newton's laws of motion and the conservation of energy. The equations involve the angular velocity and linear velocity of the wheel, as well as the radius of the wheel and the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What are some real-world examples of the Mechanics Particular Wheel Problem?

Some examples include the motion of a car's wheels on a road, the motion of a bicycle wheel, and the motion of a rolling ball. The problem can also be applied to the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in space.