Mechanics Question: Solve for Theta & L

• Thread starter oli543
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating the values of theta and L at a given time for a telescopic handler with a hydraulic ram and boom assembly. The variables include theta, phi, F, m1g, m2g, b, c, L, and d. The conversation also mentions a possible method for relating theta and phi, but there is uncertainty about the right hand side of the equation due to the positions of the mass of the boom and the load.
oli543
Hi, I was wondering if I could have a bit of guidance with this question (if you can understand my drawing of it!)

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/376/scan1md.jpg"

It is basically a representation of the main hydraulic ram and boom assembly for a telescopic handler, similar to this:

http://www.jcb-store.com/BidZone/newImages/HPIM0365(1).JPG"

Theta = angle of boom from the vertical
Phi = angle of cylinder from the horizontal
F = Force from the cylinder piston
m1g = Mass of the boom x gravitational constant
m2g = Mass of load x gravitational constant
b = Total length of boom
c = Length of cylinder
L = Extension of piston from cylinder
d = distance from boom pivot to boom/cylinder connection pivot

The magnitudes of F, m1g, m2g, b, c, d are all constant

Theta, Phi, and L can all vary

When time, t = 0, L=0, theta dot=0, phi dot=0

Basically I need to calculate the values of theta and L at time t.

My working so far (probably gone completely down the wrong path!):

Taking moments about A (the boom pivot point)

(d x F x sin phi) - (1/2b x m1g x sin theta) + (b x m2g x sin theta) = (d x (m1+m2) x "theta double dot")

That's about as far as I can get, and I'm not even sure if that's correct. If anyone can even give me a hint as to how to start this question, that'd be a great help. If any more information/a better diagram is needed, just ask.

Thanks a lot for your help, your all absolute stars :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is really nasty because I can find no way to relate phi and thata easily to get rid of one of the variables. It would have helped greatly if one pin was directly below the other, but they are not. :-(

Thanks a lot mate, if we presume that the pivot point of the boom is at point (0,y1) and the pivot point of the cylinder is at point (x1,0), then the relationship between theta and phi is:

phi = inv.tan (-(dcostheta + y1)/(x1 - dsintheta))

Which can be easily substituted into the left hand side of the equation that I posted at the bottom of my post above.

I'm unsure however about the right hand side of the equation, because it's not taking into account the positions on the boom of the mass of the boom, and the load.

Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Related to Mechanics Question: Solve for Theta & L

1. What is the equation for calculating theta?

The equation for calculating theta is:
theta = arc tan (L/h), where h is the height and L is the length of the object or triangle.

2. How do I solve for theta using trigonometric functions?

To solve for theta using trigonometric functions, you can use the following equations:
sin(theta) = opposite/hypotenuse
cos(theta) = adjacent/hypotenuse
tan(theta) = opposite/adjacent
You can also use inverse trigonometric functions such as arcsin, arccos, and arctan to solve for theta.

3. What is the difference between theta and angle?

Theta and angle are both used to describe the measurement of rotation or inclination. However, theta is typically used in mathematical equations or calculations, while angle is used in more general terms to describe the measurement of rotation or inclination in everyday language.

4. How do I use the Law of Cosines to solve for theta?

The Law of Cosines states that for a triangle with sides a, b, and c, and angle theta opposite side c, the following equation can be used:
c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2abcos(theta)
To solve for theta, rearrange the equation to solve for cos(theta), then use the inverse cosine function to find the value of theta.

5. Can I solve for theta without knowing the length of the sides?

Yes, it is possible to solve for theta without knowing the length of the sides. This can be done using the Law of Sines, which states that for a triangle with sides a, b, and c, and opposite angles A, B, and C, the following equation can be used:
sin(A)/a = sin(B)/b = sin(C)/c
By rearranging the equation, you can solve for sin(theta), and then use the inverse sine function to find the value of theta.