Melting Ice: A Comparison of Air and Water Environments

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of which environment, air or water, would cause ice to melt faster. The conclusion is that water, being denser and a better conductor of heat, would melt ice faster. The conversation also mentions that humans are poor thermometers and rely more on the rate of heat conduction for sensing temperature. The conversation ends with a humorous remark about jumping into cold water.
Micko
Hello
I was wondering:
in which environment ice will be melt faster, air or water?
I ahd argue with my friend recently, we needed Ice and he put it in pot with moderately cold water. Since we were outside and temperature was normal, about 17-18 Cel degree I said it will melt faster in water, but he claimed that it will melt faster in normal air.
It was too long to wait and we used all ice so we didn't experiment. I wonder who was right and what "scientific" explanation would be.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Since water is denser than air, it carries more heat and thus will melt ice faster (given the same relative amount of convection).

I have another way of answer this in addition to what russ has said.

Strip yourself naked and walk into a room that has an air temperature of 50 F. Now compare that when you jump into water that is also at 50 F. In which one do you think you will feel cold faster?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I have another way of answer this in addition to what russ has said.

Strip yourself naked and walk into a room that has an air temperature of 50 F. Now compare that when you jump into water that is also at 50 F. In which one do you think you will feel cold faster?

Zz.

I assume the water would feel colder. I agree that water will melt ice faster (more intuitively than by method), but when I dip my finger in a cup that's been sitting in a room for a while, it always feels colder.

But then... I hear humans are terrible thermometers.

Pythagorean said:
I assume the water would feel colder. I agree that water will melt ice faster (more intuitively than by method), but when I dip my finger in a cup that's been sitting in a room for a while, it always feels colder.

But then... I hear humans are terrible thermometers.

While humans are not good in giving absolute values, they are good at COMPARING between things. This is what I was trying to do. Water is a better "conductor" of heat than air. In fact, air is pretty much an insulator. That's what you often use to keep warm (or cool).

Zz.

To elaborate, the human sense of temperature depends more on the rate of heat conduction than absolute temperature, which is why a room temperature piece of wood feels warmer than a room temperature piece of metal - and also why if you strip yourself naked, you'll feel colder in 50 degree water than in 50 degree air.

Why would I strip myself naked and jump in 50 degree F water anyway? Or 50K? Or 50C? Now that would be mildly unplesant!

Mk said:
Why would I strip myself naked and jump in 50 degree F water anyway? Or 50K? Or 50C? Now that would be mildly unplesant!
Wimp!...

Related to Melting Ice: A Comparison of Air and Water Environments

What causes ice to melt faster, air or water?

Water is a better conductor of heat than air, which means that it can transfer heat energy to the ice faster. This causes the ice to melt faster in water compared to air.

Why does ice melt faster in saltwater?

Saltwater has a lower freezing point compared to freshwater, which means that it needs a lower temperature to freeze. This also means that it takes a lower temperature to melt saltwater, causing ice to melt faster in saltwater.

Can ice melt without heat?

Yes, ice can melt without heat through a process called sublimation. This occurs when the ice absorbs energy from its surroundings, causing it to change directly from a solid to a gas without going through the liquid phase.

Why does ice melt faster in a glass of water compared to a glass of soda?

Soda contains carbon dioxide gas, which forms bubbles and creates a layer of insulation around the ice. This slows down the transfer of heat to the ice, causing it to melt slower compared to water where there is no insulating layer.

Does the shape of the ice affect how quickly it melts?

Yes, the shape of the ice can affect how quickly it melts. Ice with a larger surface area will melt faster compared to ice with a smaller surface area. This is because more surface area allows for more heat energy to be transferred to the ice, causing it to melt faster.