Mensa Triangle Problem - Seeking Answers

• Thread starter chriswall89@hotmail.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the discussion focused on the mensa triangle problem and how to solve it. The key point is to look at the slopes of the triangles and notice that they are not equal, indicating that the "hypotenuse" of the entire triangle is not a straight line and therefore not a real triangle. The suggested method to solve the problem is to focus on the number of squares in each triangle rather than counting the number of triangles.
chriswall89@hotmail.
Ok, I've just signed up to this forum and i see there are a lot of very smart people and i just wondered if anyone knows the answer to the mensa triangle problem. I've sat and stared at it for hours and still i have no answer. Any theories.
mensatrianglepuzzle.gif

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Use the search function. There have been several threads about this already.

Bottom line: Look at the slopes, one of the shapes isn't even a real triangle.

For example, the second triangle's green part has a steeper slope than the red part.

EDIT: The green triangle slopes don't equal the red triangle slope.

EDIT2: To see this, line up a ruler to the first triangle, connect the bottom left to the top right. Notice how the actual "triangle" is slightly below this. Do the same to the second one, and you will see the "triangle" is slightly bent upwards. So the change in that area is that extra square.

Last edited:
Damn you make it all sound easy but i see what you mean. I've just been counting the number of squares per triangle. Thats where I've been going wrong. Cheers

Oh, that thing! Check the slopes of the hypotenuse of the red right triangle: it has base 8 and height 3; slope 3/8. Now check the slope on the green right triangle: it has base 5 and height 2; slope 2/5. Since those are not the same, that "hypotenuse" of the entire "triangle" is NOT a straight line and it isn't really a triangle at all.

Related to Mensa Triangle Problem - Seeking Answers

1. What is the Mensa Triangle Problem?

The Mensa Triangle Problem is a famous mathematical puzzle that involves arranging nine numbered cards in a triangle shape in such a way that the sum of the numbers on each side of the triangle is equal.

2. How difficult is the Mensa Triangle Problem?

The difficulty of the Mensa Triangle Problem varies from person to person, but it is generally considered to be a challenging puzzle that requires logical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. Has the Mensa Triangle Problem been solved?

Yes, the Mensa Triangle Problem has been solved and there are several known solutions. However, there may be other possible solutions that have not been discovered yet.

4. Who created the Mensa Triangle Problem?

The Mensa Triangle Problem was created by a group of mathematicians and puzzle enthusiasts who were members of the organization Mensa, hence the name of the puzzle. The original creators are unknown, but the puzzle has been popularized by Mensa and other puzzle organizations.

5. What is the significance of the Mensa Triangle Problem?

The Mensa Triangle Problem is significant because it showcases the beauty and complexity of mathematics and challenges individuals to think critically and creatively. It is also a popular puzzle that has been enjoyed by many people all over the world.