Meshing Failed in Ansys Workbench: Causes & Alternatives

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of meshing in Ansys Workbench. The speaker mentions attempting to use the "Method - Hex Dominant" meshing, but encountering an error message. Another individual suggests using the "Method - Hex Dominant" meshing for complex geometries or slicing the geometry into multiple pieces to simplify the meshing requirements.
Mohamed_Wael
I have been working on example of the book of ansys workbench by H.H.LEE but I tried to do different mesh using : mesh control <method<Multizone/hexa unfortunately I got an error message saying that the mesh failed and can't be performed. Does anyone who why does meshing might fail and what is the alternative in such situations

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 758
Engineering news on Phys.org
I've used the "Method - Hex Dominant" meshing with reasonably complex geometries with good success, try that out and see how it goes. Your other option is to slice the geometry into multiple pieces in DesignModeler and then creating a "Multi-Body Part" with the resulting sliced solids to try simplifying the meshing requirements.

Likes Mohamed_Wael

Related to Meshing Failed in Ansys Workbench: Causes & Alternatives

What is meshing and why does it fail in Ansys Workbench?

Meshing is the process of dividing a complex geometry into smaller, simpler elements in order to perform numerical simulations. It is an essential step in the simulation process. Meshing can fail in Ansys Workbench due to various reasons, such as poor quality geometry, incorrect boundary conditions, or inadequate element size.

What are some common causes of meshing failure in Ansys Workbench?

Some common causes of meshing failure in Ansys Workbench include poor quality geometry, incorrect boundary conditions, inadequate element size, and high aspect ratios. Additionally, meshing can fail due to geometric features that are too small or too large, or geometry that contains distorted or overlapping elements.

How can I troubleshoot meshing failure in Ansys Workbench?

To troubleshoot meshing failure in Ansys Workbench, you can start by checking the geometry for any issues, such as overlapping or distorted elements. You can also try adjusting the element size or using different meshing algorithms. Additionally, ensuring that the boundary conditions are correctly defined can help resolve meshing issues.

Are there any alternatives to meshing in Ansys Workbench?

Yes, there are alternative methods to meshing in Ansys Workbench, such as using a different meshing software or using a pre-meshed geometry. Additionally, Ansys also offers a meshing service called "Meshing as a Service" (MaaS), where users can upload their geometry and receive a high-quality mesh from Ansys experts.

Can I prevent meshing failure in Ansys Workbench?

While it is not always possible to prevent meshing failure, there are some steps you can take to minimize the chances. These include ensuring that the geometry is clean and free of any small or distorted features, defining the boundary conditions correctly, and using an appropriate element size for the simulation. Additionally, using automated meshing tools and regularly checking for any warnings or errors during the meshing process can also help prevent meshing failure.