Differential Geometry: Comparing Metric Tensors

In summary, there can be different metrics on the same manifold, but it is not always possible to relate them.
Infrared said:
The proof does not consider the degree of a map ##X\to X##, but of a map ##X^4\to X^4##. This makes sense because ##X^4\cong\mathbb{R}^6##. I think @WWGD had a typo of ##X^6## for ##\mathbb{R}^6## in his post.
Myb bad, thanks for pointing it out , for links and followup. I am editing as we speak.

Physics news on Phys.org
lavinia said:
There is a theorem here that is implicitly assumed which is that the square of any homeomorphism of an orientable manifold is orientation preserving. This is clear for a compact manifold but for a non-compact manifold, how does one prove it?

I think the point is the same as in the closed case. If ##X## is orientable, then all of the local homology groups ##H_n(X,X-\text{point})## are naturally isomorphic (identify the preferred generators), so a homeomorphism ##f:X\to X## with ##f(x_1)=x_2## gives an isomorphism ##H_n(X,X-x_1)\to H_n(X,X-x_2)\cong H_n(X,X-x_1),## and then ##f\circ f## has to induce the identity, so ##f\circ f## preserves orientation.

The only difference from the closed case is that the generators are not induced by a homology class of ##X##.

Last edited:
Infrared said:
I think the point is the same as in the closed case. If ##X## is orientable, then all of the local homology groups ##H_n(X,X-\text{point})## are naturally isomorphic (identify the preferred generators), so a homeomorphism ##f:X\to X## with ##f(x_1)=x_2## gives an isomorphism ##H_n(X,X-x_1)\to H_n(X,X-x_2)\cong H_n(X,X-x_1),## and then ##f\circ f## has to induce the identity, so ##f\circ f## preserves orientation.

The only difference from the closed case is that the generators are not induced by a homology class of ##X##.
Right. Two oriented charts are connected by a path of overlapping oriented charts.