Mid-tier US gradschools with strong math focussed theoretical physics programs

In summary, the speaker is looking for assistance in applying to graduate school in the US and is seeking information on good mid-tier schools with strong programs in theoretical physics, particularly in the areas of amplitudes, Ads/CFT, string compactification, topological condensed matter, topological QFT, and string theory. The speaker is having difficulty determining this information on their own as they do not have access to individuals working in these fields at their current university. They are open to any recommendations or suggestions from others.
insynC
Hey all,

I'm looking to apply for gradschool in the US at the end of this year and I'm currently struggling to figure something out I was hoping someone here might be able to assist me with.

I intend to apply to the top 10-15 schools, but given the cost of applications, for universities further down the list I want to discriminate a bit more. Currently I see my research focus as theoretical physics with a lot of math and from talking to people/reading around I've heard some current hot topics on this front include amplitudes (especially twistor theory), Ads/CFT, string compactification, topological condensed matter, etc and then the really mathsy topics like topological QFT/string theory, ...

What I'm trying to figure out is what are the good mid-tier (i.e. not top 10-15) schools with strong programs in these sorts of areas? I've found this very difficult to determine as no one at my current university works in these fields and it's hard to know who are the leaders in the field when you're not even in the field!

I'm sure I can figure this out somewhat by scouring the web myself, but I thought there would be some people here who would know. If so I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I should clarify that by strong program I really mean has an academic with a strong publishing record in the area.

If anyone feels they can't answer as I haven't provided enough information or the question is too vague, please let me know.

Related to Mid-tier US gradschools with strong math focussed theoretical physics programs

1. What are the top mid-tier US grad schools for theoretical physics with a strong focus on math?

Some top mid-tier US grad schools for theoretical physics with a strong focus on math include the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University of Maryland-College Park, and the University of Colorado-Boulder.

2. What makes a grad school program strong in math-focused theoretical physics?

A strong math-focused theoretical physics program typically has a rigorous curriculum that includes advanced mathematics courses, such as linear algebra, differential equations, and complex analysis. It also may have opportunities for students to conduct research in both math and physics.

3. How do I determine if a grad school is a good fit for my interests in math-focused theoretical physics?

One way to determine if a grad school is a good fit for your interests is to research the faculty and their areas of expertise. Look for schools with professors whose research aligns with your own interests in math-focused theoretical physics. You can also reach out to current students or alumni to get a better understanding of the program's strengths and weaknesses.

4. What are the job prospects for graduates of mid-tier US grad schools with strong math-focused theoretical physics programs?

Graduates of mid-tier US grad schools with strong math-focused theoretical physics programs have a variety of job prospects in academia, industry, and government. Many go on to pursue careers as research scientists, professors, or data analysts.

5. Are there any scholarships or financial aid options available for students in these programs?

Yes, many mid-tier US grad schools with strong math-focused theoretical physics programs offer scholarships and financial aid options for students. These can include merit-based scholarships, teaching or research assistantships, and grants. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process.