Minimum time between two orthogonal states

In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum non-zero value of T2-T1 for a particle prepared in a state with two energy eigenstates, and given that the state at time t=0 is orthogonal to the states at times T1 and T2. Using the wave function evolution equation and the orthonormality of the two states, we can derive the equation (1) and (2) which lead to the final answer of T2-T1 = 2πħ/|E2-E1|.
Kaguro
Homework Statement
Let φ1 and φ2 denote, the normalized eigenstates of a particle with energy eigenvalues E1 and E2 respectively. At time t = 0, the particle is prepared in a state:

ψ(x,t=0) = (1/√2)φ1+(1/√2)φ2

It is observed that both ψ(x,T1) and ψ(x,T2) orthogonal to ψ(x,0) . The minimum non-zero
value of T 2 - T 1 is :

(a)πħ/(|E1-E2|)
(b)2πħ/(|E1-E2|)
(c) πħ/(2|E1-E2|)
(d) 4πħ/(|E1-E2|)
Relevant Equations
ψ(x,t) = ψ(x,0)*exp(-iEt/ħ)
and E = |c1|^2(E1) +|c2|^2(E2)
E = (1/√2)^2(E1) + (1/√2)^2(E2) = (E1+E2)/2

Let ψ(x,t=0) = ψ0
So, ψ1 = ψ0*exp(-i*E*T1/ħ)
and, ψ2 = ψ0*exp(-i*E*T2/ħ)

Given, <ψ1|ψ0> = <ψ2|ψ0> = 0
So,
<ψ0*exp(-i*E*T1/ħ)|ψ0> = 0
=> exp(i*E*T1/ħ)<ψ0|ψ0> = 0
=> exp(i*E*T1/ħ) = 0

Similarly,
exp(i*E*T2/ħ) = 0

So, exp(i*E*T1/ħ) = exp(i*E*T2/ħ)
=> E*T2/ħ = E*T1/ħ + 2π
=> T2-T1 = 2ħπ/E = 4ħπ/(E1+E2)

The minimum non zero value.
But this doesn't match any of the options. What did I do wrong here?

Correct answer is supposed to be option B.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kaguro said:
Homework Statement:: Let φ1 and φ2 denote, the normalized eigenstates of a particle with energy eigenvalues E1 and E2 respectively. At time t = 0, the particle is prepared in a state:

ψ(x,t=0) = (1/√2)φ1+(1/√2)φ2

It is observed that both ψ(x,T1) and ψ(x,T2) orthogonal to ψ(x,0) . The minimum non-zero
value of T 2 - T 1 is :

(a)πħ/(|E1-E2|)
(b)2πħ/(|E1-E2|)
(c) πħ/(2|E1-E2|)
(d) 4πħ/(|E1-E2|)
Relevant Equations:: ψ(x,t) = ψ(x,0)*exp(-iEt/ħ)
and E = |c1|^2(E1) +|c2|^2(E2)

E = (1/√2)^2(E1) + (1/√2)^2(E2) = (E1+E2)/2

This is not right. The wave function evolves as:
$$\Psi(x, t) = \frac 1 {\sqrt{2}}(\phi_1(x) e^{-iE_1t} + \phi_2(x) e^{-iE_2t})$$

Likes Kaguro
Okay, my bad..

So this time, I get:
<##\frac{1}{\sqrt 2} \phi_1 e^{-iE_1T_1/\hbar} + \frac{1}{\sqrt 2} \phi_2 e^{-iE_2T_1/\hbar} | \frac{1}{\sqrt 2} \phi_1 + \frac{1}{\sqrt 2} \phi_2##> = 0
since the ## \phi_1 \text{ and } \phi_2 ## are orthonormal, so:
##\frac{1}{2} e^{iE_1 T_1/ \hbar} + \frac{1}{2} e^{iE_2 T_1/ \hbar} = 0~~~~~(1)##
and similarly for state ##\psi(x,T_2)## we get:
##\frac{1}{2} e^{iE_1 T_2/ \hbar} + \frac{1}{2} e^{iE_2 T_2/ \hbar}= 0~~~~~(2)##

From (1)
##e^{i E_1 T_1 / \hbar}=-e^{i E_2 T_1 / \hbar}##
##\Rightarrow e^{i T_1(E_2-E_1)}=-1##
similarly
##\Rightarrow e^{i T_2(E_2-E_1)}=-1##
Equate them.
##\Rightarrow e^{i T_1(E_2-E_1)}=e^{i T_2(E_2-E_1)}##

##\Rightarrow \frac{iT_2(E_2-E_1)}{\hbar} = \frac{iT_1(E_2-E_1)}{\hbar}+i2 \pi##
and finally answer is:
##T_2 - T_1 = \frac{2 \pi \hbar}{|E_2 - E_1|}##

Thanks PeroK for your help!
You keep helping me.:smile::smile:

Likes PeroK

Related to Minimum time between two orthogonal states

What is the concept of "Minimum time between two orthogonal states"?

The concept of "Minimum time between two orthogonal states" refers to the shortest amount of time required for a system to transition from one state to another, where the two states are mutually exclusive or orthogonal.

Why is the minimum time between two orthogonal states important in scientific research?

The minimum time between two orthogonal states is important in scientific research because it helps to understand the dynamics and behavior of systems. It also provides insights into the stability and efficiency of processes.

How is the minimum time between two orthogonal states calculated?

The minimum time between two orthogonal states is calculated by analyzing the system's energy and the forces acting on it. It involves using mathematical models and simulations to determine the time required for the system to reach a new state.

Can the minimum time between two orthogonal states be influenced or manipulated?

Yes, the minimum time between two orthogonal states can be influenced or manipulated by changing the system's parameters, such as energy levels, external forces, and initial conditions. However, there may be physical limitations that cannot be altered.

What are the real-life applications of studying the minimum time between two orthogonal states?

The study of the minimum time between two orthogonal states has various real-life applications, including understanding chemical reactions, predicting weather patterns, optimizing industrial processes, and designing efficient transportation systems.