Mistake when explaining associativity of vector addition

In summary, the conversation discusses the associativity of vector addition and the correct way to calculate it. The speaker explains that vector addition should be applied at the same point or concatenated, leading to the same result regardless of the order. They also mention that vector addition is an abbreviation and the notation for simplification. The conversation ends with the clarification of a mistake made by one of the speakers.
CynicusRex
Gold Member

Does he make a mistake at 6:18?

In case of associativity. When doing a+(b+c) he's just placing the tip of a to the tail of (b+c), but shouldn't he have added the tail of a to the tip of (b+c) ending in a different point? I understand vector addition is associative, but I think how he did it is incorrect by accident. As far as I understand, this is how I see it:
bkV2hu8.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
He is right. He calculates ##a + (b+c)##, i.e. ##(b+c) = v## first and then ##a + v##. Your suggestion is ##v + a##.
To add vectors, you have to apply them at the same point (and get a diagonal of a parallelogram) or concatenate them (and get the same diagonal). So even ##v + a## will lead to the same result, when applied to the origin.

The whole vector addition is already an abbreviation, since a vector should be ##(P_v,v)## where ##P_v## is the point the vector is applied to, i.e. where it starts. So
$$a + (b+c) = (P_a,a) + ((P_b,b) + (P_c, c)) = (P_a,a) + ((P_b,b) + (P_b +b, c)) = (P_a,a) + (P_b, b+c)) = (P_a, a+(b+c))$$
which is associative and commutative. So no matter how you write it, it's always the same result. Since parallel transport along straight lines doesn't change the resulting vectors, we drop the points where the vectors apply to in the notation for simplification.

Likes CynicusRex
Ah okay, I understand my error. Thank you.

Related to Mistake when explaining associativity of vector addition

1. What is associativity in vector addition?

Associativity in vector addition means that the order in which we add vectors does not affect the result. In other words, if we have three vectors A, B, and C, the result of (A + B) + C will be the same as A + (B + C).

2. What is an example of a mistake when explaining associativity in vector addition?

A common mistake is to think that associativity means that the order of the vectors does not matter at all. This is not true, as the order of the vectors still matters in terms of which vectors are being added together.

3. How does associativity relate to the commutative property in vector addition?

The commutative property states that the order of the vectors does not matter in addition, meaning that A + B is equal to B + A. This is different from associativity, which only applies to a series of multiple additions.

4. Can you give an example of a real-life application of associativity in vector addition?

One example is in navigation, where multiple vectors representing direction and distance are added together to determine the final displacement. In this case, the order in which the vectors are added does not affect the final result.

5. What are some strategies for understanding and explaining associativity in vector addition?

One strategy is to visualize the vectors and their addition in a geometric sense, where the order of addition does not affect the final result. Another strategy is to use concrete examples and scenarios to demonstrate how associativity works in practice.