Möbius function and prime numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the function S(n) and its relationship to the prime numbers. It is proven that S(n) is always negative and it is shown that it follows a similar pattern to the function f(x) = 0.454353 * x / log(x). However, it is noted that with the failure of the Mertens conjecture, there may be instances where this pattern does not hold. There is a question about the trend of C(n) as n varies.
rrronny
Let [tex]p_i[/tex] denote the i-th prime number. Prove or disprove that:
[tex]1)\quad \displaystyle S(n) : = \sum_{i = 1}^n \mu(p_i + p_{i + 1}) < 0 \quad \forall n \in \mathbb{N}_0 : = \left\{1,2,3,...\right\};[/tex]
[tex] 2)\quad \displaystyle S(n) \sim C \frac {n}{\log{n}},[/tex]
where [tex]C[/tex] is a negative real constant.

In the graph attached are represended the functions [tex]-S(n)[/tex] (red)
and [tex]f (x) : = 0.454353 * x / \log{x}[/tex] (green), with [tex]n,x \in [1, 3 \cdot 10^6].[/tex]

Attachments

• Plot_Möbius.jpg
    Plot_Möbius.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
The pattern holds up to 4e9 - 21, where S(189961812) = -4681611, which suggests C ~= -0.46979.

But somehow with the failure of the Mertens conjecture I would expect this one to fail eventually.

Hi CRGreathouse, thanks for your reply.
Just one question: how is the trend of [tex]C(n)[/tex] in the variation of [tex]n[/tex]?

Related to Möbius function and prime numbers

1. What is the Möbius function?

The Möbius function, denoted as μ(n), is a mathematical function that is defined for positive integers and is used in number theory. It is important in studying the properties of prime numbers and their distribution.

2. How is the Möbius function related to prime numbers?

The Möbius function is closely related to prime numbers as it is used in the formula for counting the number of prime numbers less than or equal to a given number. It is also used in the Möbius inversion formula, which is a fundamental tool for understanding the arithmetic functions of prime numbers.

3. What is the significance of the Möbius function in number theory?

The Möbius function plays a crucial role in number theory as it is used to define the Euler totient function, which counts the number of positive integers less than or equal to a given number that are relatively prime to that number. It is also used in the Riemann zeta function, which is important in the study of the distribution of prime numbers.

4. How does the Möbius function help in determining the prime factorization of a number?

The Möbius function is used in the Möbius inversion formula, which allows us to express an arithmetic function (such as the prime factorization) in terms of another arithmetic function (such as the Euler totient function). This makes it a powerful tool in determining the prime factorization of a number.

5. What are some applications of the Möbius function?

The Möbius function has various applications in number theory, such as in studying the distribution of prime numbers, prime factorization of numbers, and the Riemann hypothesis. It is also used in other fields of mathematics, such as algebra and combinatorics, and has applications in computer science and cryptography as well.