Moments. Finding angle and force

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude and angle of a force 'P' that, when combined with another force of 200N, produces a resultant force of 500N. The speaker suggests using an equation to solve for 'P' and mentions that the original answer provided is incorrect. The conversation ends with the speaker stating they have found the correct answer.
SagarPatil

Homework Statement

Two Forces are acting concurrently and their resultant is 500 N as shown in figure on the right. Determine P and the angle P makes with the x-axis?

upload_2015-1-29_20-6-3.png

2. The attempt at a solution

upload_2015-1-29_21-34-40.png

Is my answer correct?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid it isn't. For one, you're x-component is larger in magnitude that the original force. And you haven't made use of the resultant of 500 N.
Use an equation such that the resultant of 'P' and the 200N vector is the 500N vector.

siddharth23 said:
I'm afraid it isn't. For one, you're x-component is larger in magnitude that the original force. And you haven't made use of the resultant of 500 N.
Use an equation such that the resultant of 'P' and the 200N vector is the 500N vector.

I think this is what you mean.

upload_2015-1-31_21-38-41.png

I got the answer. :D

Related to Moments. Finding angle and force

1. What is a moment in physics?

A moment in physics refers to the turning effect of a force around a point or axis. It is a measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object.

2. How do you calculate a moment?

To calculate a moment, you need to multiply the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. The unit of measurement for moment is newton-meter (Nm).

3. What is the relationship between angle and moment?

The angle between the force and the perpendicular distance affects the magnitude of the moment. The larger the angle, the greater the moment, and the smaller the angle, the smaller the moment.

4. How is force related to moment?

The force applied on an object will determine the magnitude of the moment. The larger the force, the greater the moment, and the smaller the force, the smaller the moment.

5. Why are moments important in engineering and mechanics?

Moments play a crucial role in engineering and mechanics because they help determine the stability, equilibrium, and motion of objects. They are also used in designing structures and machines to ensure they can withstand external forces and remain balanced.