Momentum (Catching Ball on Ice)

In summary, the conversation involved solving for the velocity of a 0.400 kg ball thrown at a person standing on a sheet of ice, with negligible friction. Part A asked for the velocity of the person and ball after catching the ball, while Part B asked for the velocity of the person after the ball bounces off their chest. The correct equation to use for Part B is m1v1 + 0 = -(m1v3) + (m2v4), where v3 and v4 are the new velocities of the objects after the collision. The correct answer for Part B is 10.3 cm/s.
kevina
The Question:

(1) You are standing on a sheet of ice that covers a parking lot; there is negligible friction between your feet and the ice. A friend throws you a 0.400 kg ball that is traveling horizontally at 10.2 m/s. Your mass is 73.4 kg.

(a) If you catch the ball, with what speed do you and the ball move afterward? Answer in cm/s.

(b) If the ball hits you and bounces off your chest, so that afterward it is moving horizontally at 8.70 m/s in the opposite direction, what is your speed after the collision? Answer in cm/s.

My Solution:
I was able to solve Part A. It's Part B I'm having trouble with. I used
(.400kg)(870cm/s)=(73.4kg)(v)
I solved for v and got 4.74cm/s, but the answer is wrong.
What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
kevina said:
I used
That would be true if the total momentum were zero, but it's not.

Set the initial momentum of the ball equal to the final momentum of the ball and you.
(Careful with signs: the ball bounces off and goes in the negative direction.)

kevina said:
The Question:

(1) You are standing on a sheet of ice that covers a parking lot; there is negligible friction between your feet and the ice. A friend throws you a 0.400 kg ball that is traveling horizontally at 10.2 m/s. Your mass is 73.4 kg.

(a) If you catch the ball, with what speed do you and the ball move afterward? Answer in cm/s.

(b) If the ball hits you and bounces off your chest, so that afterward it is moving horizontally at 8.70 m/s in the opposite direction, what is your speed after the collision? Answer in cm/s.

My Solution:
I was able to solve Part A. It's Part B I'm having trouble with. I used
I solved for v and got 4.74cm/s, but the answer is wrong.
What am I doing wrong?

Part B is an elastic collision.. and momentum is always conserved... the base eqaution is this... m1v1 (+/-) m2v2 = m1v3 (+/-) m2v4

v3 and v4 are the new velocities of the objects after the collision.

so it would be like this...

m1= ball
m2= you
v1=ball
v2= you
v3= ball after collision
v4= you after collision

m1v1 + 0 = -(m1v3) + (m2v4)

solving for v4 will equal

v4 = (m1v1) + (m1v3)
----------------
m2

=0.103m/s

=10.3 cm/s

Ahh.. I see.. I wasn't using the right equation. Thanks for the help Doc Al and hagar852. :)

Related to Momentum (Catching Ball on Ice)

1. What is momentum and how does it relate to catching a ball on ice?

Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity in motion. In the case of catching a ball on ice, the momentum of the ball must be transferred to the catcher's body in order to stop it. This can be challenging on ice since there is little friction to slow down the ball's momentum.

2. How does friction affect the momentum of a ball on ice?

Friction plays a crucial role in transferring the momentum of a ball on ice to the catcher's body. With less friction on ice, the ball will have a higher velocity and therefore a greater momentum. This makes it more difficult to stop the ball when catching it.

3. Can the momentum of a ball on ice be changed?

Yes, the momentum of a ball on ice can be changed. This can be done by applying an external force, such as pushing or throwing the ball, which will change its velocity and therefore its momentum. The amount of force applied will determine the change in momentum.

4. How can the momentum of a ball on ice be caught without slipping?

In order to catch a ball on ice without slipping, the catcher must exert an equal and opposite force to the ball's momentum. This can be done by using their body to absorb the force of the ball, rather than trying to stop it abruptly. The catcher can also use their feet to create more friction and slow down the ball's momentum before catching it.

5. What other factors can affect the momentum of a ball on ice?

In addition to friction and external forces, the temperature of the ice can also affect the momentum of a ball. Colder ice will have less friction, resulting in a faster-moving ball with a greater momentum. The shape and surface of the ball can also impact its momentum, as well as the angle and velocity at which it is thrown.