Multiplying Vectors: Solving a.b = (a x db/dt) + (da/dt x b)

• Thread starter Preciouspearl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, to prove the identity for the derivative of the dot product, you need to first multiply the vectors a and b using the inner product. Then take the derivatives of both a and b. Finally, multiply the derivative of b with a and the derivative of a with b. The result should be the same as the derivative of the dot product.
Preciouspearl
If a = t^2 i - (4-t)j
and b = i + t j
show d/dt (a.b) = (a x db/dt) + (da/dt x b)I know you have to multiply the vectors a and b
then do da/dt
then db/dt
and times db/dt with a
and times da/dt with b
that should be the proof

However, I don't know how to multiply the vectors!
Can someone please tell me how to multiply them

Thank you, in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two products defined over three dimensional vectors.

First is the inner (\dot\scalar) product, that for any a=(a1,a2,a3), b=(b1,b2,b3)
Gives

a.b=a1*b1+a2*b2+a3*b3.

Which means, multiply the vector component-wise and then sum up the results. This product gives a number!

The second is the vector (\cross) product

which is:

[tex]\vec{a} X \vec{b}=(a_{2}b_{3}-b_{2}a_{3})\hat{i}+(a_{3}b_{1}-a_{1}b_{3})\hat{j}+(a_{1}b_{2}-a_{2}b_{1})\hat{k}[/tex]

The result is a vector!

Now please be careful. The identity which you are trying to prove involves only dot products. So it's:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(\vec{a}.\vec{b})=\vec{a}.\frac{d}{dt}\vec{b}+\vec{b}.\frac{d}{dt}\vec{a}[/tex]

Related to Multiplying Vectors: Solving a.b = (a x db/dt) + (da/dt x b)

1. What are vectors?

Vectors are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are represented by arrows, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the vector.

2. What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and then taking the cosine of the angle between them.

3. What is the cross product of two vectors?

The cross product of two vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a vector quantity. It is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix composed of the two vectors and the unit vectors i, j, and k.

4. How do you solve for the dot product of a.b = (a x db/dt) + (da/dt x b)?

To solve for the dot product a.b, you first need to calculate the cross products (a x db/dt) and (da/dt x b). Then, add these two vectors together and take the dot product of the resulting vector with a.b. This will give you the solution to the equation.

5. What is the significance of multiplying vectors in scientific research?

Multiplying vectors is a common operation in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows scientists to calculate important quantities such as work, torque, and velocity, which are essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems.