My Textbook Wrong? Chemical Change Examples Explained

• Thread starter Ki Man
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a section in a textbook about chemical changes and the example of a space shuttle propelling forward with hot water vapors. The speaker is surprised because they always thought that the hydrogen was ignited to create a blast, but the book explains that the chemical reaction is actually 2H2 + 02 = H20 + heat. The speaker still questions this and wonders if combustion means ignition rather than turning into vapors.
Ki Man
okay in my textbook in the section where it gives examples of chemical changes, it shows a space shuttle and says that when the hydrogen and oxygen meet and create hot water vapors which propel it foreward. this goes agaist almost everything I've learned and thought so far, and i always thought that the hydrogen was ignited when it met with the oxygen to create a blast that will propell the rocket foreward, which one is right, me or the science book.

Physics news on Phys.org
The book is right. The chemical reaction is 2H2 + 02 = H20 + heat i believe. the "blast" is basically the chemical reaction.

:rolleyes: i thought the hydrogen was ignited instead of turned into vapors

What, exactly, do you think combustion means?

Related to My Textbook Wrong? Chemical Change Examples Explained

1. Is it possible for a chemical change to occur without a visible change in appearance?

Yes, chemical changes can occur without any visible changes in appearance. For example, the rusting of iron is a chemical change, but it may not be noticeable until the iron has completely corroded.

2. Can a physical change be mistaken for a chemical change?

Yes, physical changes can sometimes be mistaken for chemical changes. For instance, melting or freezing of a substance does not change its chemical composition, but changes in color or smell can indicate a chemical change.

3. Does a chemical change always produce a new substance?

Yes, a chemical change always results in the formation of a new substance with different chemical properties. This is because the atoms and molecules in the original substance are rearranged to form new compounds.

4. How can I tell if a chemical change has occurred?

Some common signs of a chemical change include the formation of a gas, a change in color or odor, the release or absorption of heat, and the formation of a precipitate. However, it is important to use scientific methods and observations to confirm a chemical change.

5. What are some common examples of chemical changes?

Some common examples of chemical changes include combustion, oxidation, fermentation, and photosynthesis. Other examples include the formation of rust, cooking food, and digesting food in our bodies.