Need a proper mathematical name

In summary, there is a discussion about what to call the larger area of a circle divided by a chordal line. Some suggestions include "co-circular segment," "reflex segment," "truncated circle," and "gibbous." However, it is generally accepted to refer to this area as a "larger circular segment."
Dr.D
Consider a circle with a chordal line dividing the area into two unequal parts. It seems to be accepted practice to call the smaller of these parts a circular segment. Is there a generally accepted name for the larger area?

I've been writing some material where this geometry arises, and I've called it a "flatted circle," but that is inelegant at best! Better names would be much appreciated.

Merry Christmass to all!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is as well a circular segment, only that the angle is ##> \pi##. In mathematics in general complementary objects are often noted with the prefix "co-". This might not be correct in its funktorial point of view, but within geometry alone there is no danger of confusion as e.g. "hyper-" would be. I've found on Wikipedia that the height of a circular segment is also called sagitta, so you could as well define the area as a segment with sagitta ##> R##.

Another idea is to borrow from the specifications of angles and call it "reflex(ed) segment".

Thanks for the reply fresh_42. My concern with calling this area a circular segment is the risk of confusion. The "all-knowing Wikipedia" says this:

"In geometry, a circular segment (symbol: ⌓) is a region of a circle which is "cut off" from the rest of the circle by a secant or a chord. More formally, a circular segment is a region of two-dimensional space that is bounded by an arc (of less than 180°) of a circle and by the chord connecting the endpoints of the arc."

As you can see, the Wiki article explicitly states that the central angle is less than 180 degrees. Maybe someone else has another option?

From Wikipedia:
395px-Kugel-kappe-s.svg.png

subtitled with: "The blue body is a sphere segment; the pink rest body too" and on the English version: "An example of a spherical cap in blue (and another in red.)" So what's right for the ball cannot be false all of a sudden for the circle.

I would probably use the language of angles: acute, obtuse, straight, reflex. It is what the defining angle is, and thus can be extended to the segments with some reason.

Attachments

• 395px-Kugel-kappe-s.svg.png
    395px-Kugel-kappe-s.svg.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 610
If you slice off a bit of a cone you have a truncated cone. So how about 'truncated circle'?

AM

Last edited:
Regardless of what Wikipedia says, I think that "larger circular segment" would be clear enough.

Likes Klystron
Thanks to all who responded. This helps, and is much appreciated.

I was thinking of gibbous. But I suspect is too well-defined to not lead to confusion.
  • having the observable illuminated part greater than a semicircle and less than a circle

Related to Need a proper mathematical name

What is a proper mathematical name?

A proper mathematical name is a specific term or notation used in mathematics to represent a concept or quantity. It is often used to make mathematical communication more precise and efficient.

Why do we need proper mathematical names?

Proper mathematical names are necessary for clear and concise communication in the field of mathematics. They help avoid ambiguity and allow for more efficient and accurate mathematical calculations and explanations.

What are some examples of proper mathematical names?

Examples of proper mathematical names include "Pythagorean Theorem", "Quadratic Equation", and "Riemann Integral". These names represent specific mathematical concepts or formulas that are commonly used and recognized in the field of mathematics.

How are proper mathematical names created?

Proper mathematical names are usually created by mathematicians or scientists who have discovered or developed a new concept or formula. They may use a combination of words, symbols, or a combination of both to create a concise and precise name for the concept.

Can proper mathematical names be changed or updated?

Yes, proper mathematical names can be changed or updated if new information or discoveries are made that require a more accurate or efficient representation. However, this process is usually carefully considered and done by a group of experts in the field to ensure consistency and clarity.