Need animation/video to convey rotational speeds

In summary, the individual is looking for an animation or video to demonstrate how different sized circles have different speeds, and is considering using a tire setup or a vehicle with dissimilar wheel arrangement. They mention using a penny-farthing bicycle or bicycle gears as potential options, but ultimately find a suitable gif for their engineering presentation.
Dustin11H3
Hello Everyone,

I need an animation or video or something that will convey different speeds of different sized circles. Ideally, I would like some type of tire setup that shows a smaller circle driven at the same speed rotating more quickly than a larger circle. I am using this for an engineering presentation for an internship I am working at. This will help me to convey the physics without the math to the public in a timely manner.

IE: If I have two circles, one being 10 meters in diameter and the other being 1 meter in diameter. I would like to show that for these circles to travel 10 meters in the same amount of time, the smaller circle would have to spin faster.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!

Science news on Phys.org
Have you thought about using a video of any vehicle with dissimilar wheel arrangement? A dragster car, a penny-farthing bicycle, some types of tractors or locomotives spring to mind. The penny-farthing might be best since it's easier to see the angular velocity of each wheel due to the spokes and low speeds.
Bicycle gears might work too, but that'd require some additional explanation..

Youtube has plenty of videos on each of the subjects mentioned.

Google "Gear train" video returned almost 200k hits, ditto for 'compound gear train video'

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I am looking for a gif that I can use in a PowerPoint (video sizes make the file larger than I would like). I found what I needed though so thank you for the help!

Related to Need animation/video to convey rotational speeds

1. What is the purpose of using animation or video to convey rotational speeds?

The purpose of using animation or video to convey rotational speeds is to provide a visual representation of the speed at which an object is rotating. This can help viewers better understand and visualize complex concepts, such as angular velocity and rotational motion.

2. How can animation or video accurately convey rotational speeds?

Animation or video can accurately convey rotational speeds by using visual cues, such as speed lines or rotating objects, to represent the movement and velocity of the rotating object. Additionally, numerical values or units can be displayed alongside the animation or video to provide quantitative information.

3. What are some common types of animations or videos used to convey rotational speeds?

Some common types of animations or videos used to convey rotational speeds include rotating 2D or 3D objects, graphical representations of angular velocity, and simulated motion of rotating objects. These can be created using various software programs, such as Adobe After Effects or Blender.

4. Are there any limitations to using animation or video to convey rotational speeds?

While animation and video can be effective tools for conveying rotational speeds, they may not always accurately represent real-life scenarios. Factors such as friction, air resistance, and other external forces may affect the actual speed of a rotating object, which may not be accurately depicted in the animation or video.

5. What are some real-world applications of using animation or video to convey rotational speeds?

Animation or video can be used in various industries, such as engineering, robotics, and physics, to visualize and analyze rotational speeds in different systems and scenarios. It can also be used for educational purposes, to help students better understand and conceptualize rotational motion and its effects.