Need help calculating fuel flow rate

In summary: Volume/Flow rateIn summary, the speaker is seeking help to come up with a formula to calculate the amount of time an injector needs to be activated in order to deliver a set quantity of fuel at a set pressure. The flow rate and pressure are key factors in determining the time needed.
JoshH
I am working on something that I could use some help with. I have a flow sheet for some fuel injectors that gives fuel quantity through the injector with a set pressure and activation time for 4 different points with different activation times and pressures. I need to come up with a formula to help me calculate the amount of time the injector needs to be activated to give a set quantity of fuel at a set pressure for various different fuel quantities and pressures. Can anyone help me out with a formula that would allow me to do that? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
JoshH said:
I am working on something that I could use some help with. I have a flow sheet for some fuel injectors that gives fuel quantity through the injector with a set pressure and activation time for 4 different points with different activation times and pressures. I need to come up with a formula to help me calculate the amount of time the injector needs to be activated to give a set quantity of fuel at a set pressure for various different fuel quantities and pressures. Can anyone help me out with a formula that would allow me to do that? Thanks.
Welcome to PF Josh!

Assuming that the flow rate is fuel volume/unit time
Flow rate x time = volume, so time = Volume/Flow rate

Pressure determines the flow rate so if you know the flow rate for a given pressure, this should be pretty simple.

AM

Likes Vedward

Related to Need help calculating fuel flow rate

1. How do I calculate fuel flow rate?

To calculate fuel flow rate, you will need to know the following information: the amount of fuel consumed in a given period of time (usually in liters or gallons), the duration of that period of time (usually in hours), and the density of the fuel being used (usually in kilograms per liter or pounds per gallon). Once you have this information, you can use the formula: fuel flow rate = fuel consumed / time duration x fuel density.

2. What is the importance of calculating fuel flow rate?

Calculating fuel flow rate is important for a variety of reasons. It allows you to monitor and track your fuel consumption, which is essential for budgeting and planning purposes. It also helps you ensure that your engine is running efficiently and that you are using the right amount of fuel for your needs.

3. How does fuel flow rate affect fuel efficiency?

Fuel flow rate plays a significant role in fuel efficiency. The higher the fuel flow rate, the more fuel your engine is consuming, which can lead to lower fuel efficiency. By accurately calculating your fuel flow rate, you can make adjustments to your driving or operations to improve fuel efficiency.

4. What are some common units of measurement for fuel flow rate?

The most common units of measurement for fuel flow rate are liters per hour (L/h), gallons per hour (gal/h), and kilograms per hour (kg/h). These units can be converted to each other using conversion factors. Other units that may be used include pounds per hour (lb/h) and gallons per minute (gal/min).

5. How can I measure fuel flow rate?

There are several ways to measure fuel flow rate, depending on the type of engine or equipment being used. Some common methods include using a fuel flow meter, which measures the volume of fuel passing through a specific point, or using a fuel pressure gauge, which measures the pressure of the fuel being delivered to the engine. In some cases, fuel flow rate can also be estimated based on engine performance data and fuel consumption rates.