Need help in writing a paper

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of writing a scientific paper without any mathematical proof, specifically on the origin of the universe. It is mentioned that the paper would not be accepted by a peer-reviewed journal without supporting data, and that the individual should focus on reading and understanding journals before attempting to write one. The conversation also touches on the importance of studying and having a strong background in order to produce a successful scientific publication.
bubblewrap
Can I write a scientific paper with just the ideas? Without any mathematical proof. I plan on writing about the origin of the universe.

Physics news on Phys.org
Define 'scientific paper'.

Of course you can write a paper if you want. The question is, what do you want to do with it?

Submit it to a peer-reviewed journal? No.

DaveC426913 said:
Define 'scientific paper'.

Of course you can write a paper if you want. The question is, what do you want to do with it?

Submit it to a peer-reviewed journal? No.

Depends upon the "peer-reviewed" journal... :)

http://www.nature.com/news/publishers-withdraw-more-than-120-gibberish-papers-1.14763
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who's_Afraid_of_Peer_Review?
[Langauge Warning!] http://io9.com/sham-journal-accepts-totally-absurd-but-completely-appr-1661329028

I do wish to publish my paper to a scientific journal, will it not get through if I don't have a supporting data?
I changed my plan to contain more mathematical language but not of proofs, just the consequences of my theory.
Also will age and educational background matter? I'm currently in high school so will it matter?

bubblewrap said:
I do wish to publish my paper to a scientific journal, will it not get through if I don't have a supporting data?

Of course not. It's not science without data.

You would be better served by reading journals than worrying about writing in one. Scientific publication is a dialog, and wanting to write without reading is the same as trying to have a conversation by talking and not listening.

Vanadium 50 said:
Of course not. It's not science without data.

You would be better served by reading journals than worrying about writing in one. Scientific publication is a dialog, and wanting to write without reading is the same as trying to have a conversation by talking and not listening.

Thank you Vanadium 50, I thought that I should have studied more as well. Since I'm not subscribing to any journals (magazines I have), can you recommend one for me? Would Nature Physics be good enough?

I would start with a trip to the library to see which journals you understand before subscribing to any of them.

I think you misunderstand how scientific publications work. Writing down some "idea" in english words is not science. This is an example of a scientific result (from theoretical particle physics) - and you'll have to read a lot of publications before you can produce something like that on your own. You can also check the experimental side - that needs an actual experiment and data from it.

I guess I did misunderstood it, off to reading some journals then :)

It's good to be ambitious, especialy at your age, so don't get discouraged by this. You'll find when you look at some of the journals that they appear to be written in a different language, even though you recognize most of the words as being English. "Doing" science is a serious pursuit and it will take a decade of serious study just to gain enough knowledge to understand fully what is in those papers, before even being capable of writing your own that is on the same level.

Related to Need help in writing a paper

1. How do I choose a topic for my paper?

Choosing a topic for your paper can be a daunting task. Start by considering your interests and narrowing down a specific aspect or question within that topic. You can also discuss potential topics with your peers or consult with your professor for guidance.

2. What should I include in the introduction of my paper?

The introduction of your paper should provide a brief overview of your topic and its significance. It should also include your thesis statement, which is the main argument or claim that your paper will be exploring.

3. How can I make sure my paper is well-organized?

To ensure your paper is well-organized, start by creating an outline or structure for your paper. This will help you to stay focused and on track while writing. Make sure each paragraph has a clear topic sentence and flows logically into the next one.

4. What is the difference between primary and secondary sources?

Primary sources are original sources of information, such as data, interviews, or historical documents. Secondary sources are interpretations or analyses of primary sources. It is important to use a combination of both types of sources in your paper to provide evidence and support for your arguments.

5. How can I properly cite my sources in my paper?

To properly cite your sources, use a citation style recommended by your professor, such as MLA or APA. Make sure to cite all sources used in your paper, including direct quotes, paraphrased information, and ideas borrowed from other sources. This will help you avoid plagiarism and give credit to the original authors.