Need help on understanding cone geometry

In summary, The conversation discusses the cartesian equation of a right circular cone, with a focus on the equations (h-z)^2 = (h/r)^2 (x^2+y^2) and x^2 + y^2 = z^2. The latter is the equation for a 45 degree cone with its apex at the origin, while the former is a more general equation for a cone with a vertical axis and an elliptical cross-section. The constants in the equation, a, b, and c, represent the shape and orientation of the cone.
chyo
Hi all,

Homework Statement

Given a right circular cone with origin at the centre of the base, the positive z-axis pointing towards the apex, and the height is h and radius of base is r. What is the cartesian equation of the cone?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation that I get is (h-z)^2 = (h/r)^2 (x^2+y^2). Can anyone confirm this?

Assuming that my above equation is correct, how is it that the general equation of a cone is instead x^2 + y^2 = z^2? Where did the extra terms from the first equation go to?

Also, what significance does it bring when the equation of a cone becomes ax^2 + by^2 = (h-cz)^2? If I compare it with the equation i obtained, I suppose that this should mean that the height of the cone is equal to its base radius? What about the constants a, b, c; what do they represent in the physical sense?

Thanks much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation looks fine to me. x^2 + y^2 = z^2 is the equation a 45 degree cone with apex at the origin. Not very general. And for this one, ax^2 + by^2 = (h-cz)^2, if a!=b, that's a vertical cone (axis along z) with an elliptical cross-section.

Hello,

The cartesian equation of a cone can be written as x^2 + y^2 = (z^2 / (h/r)^2). This equation represents all points on the surface of the cone, where the distance from the origin to any point (x, y, z) on the surface is equal to the height of the cone (h) divided by the base radius (r). This can also be written as (h-z)^2 = (h/r)^2 (x^2+y^2), which is equivalent to the equation you obtained.

The equation x^2 + y^2 = z^2 is a special case of the general equation, where the height of the cone (h) is equal to the base radius (r). In this case, the cone is a right circular cone, meaning that the apex is directly above the center of the base and the angle between the slant height and the base is 90 degrees. This is the most common type of cone that is studied in math and science.

The equation ax^2 + by^2 = (h-cz)^2 represents a general conic section, which includes not only cones but also other shapes such as circles, ellipses, and hyperbolas. The constants a, b, and c represent the shape and orientation of the conic section. For a cone, a and b are equal to 1, indicating that the cross-section of the cone is circular. The constant c represents the angle of the cone, with a larger value indicating a steeper angle.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of cone geometry. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to Need help on understanding cone geometry

1. What is a cone?

A cone is a three-dimensional shape that has a circular base and tapers to a point at the other end.

2. What are the main parts of a cone?

The main parts of a cone are the base, the lateral surface, the apex, and the height.

3. How is the volume of a cone calculated?

The volume of a cone can be calculated using the formula V = 1/3πr²h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone.

4. What is the relationship between the height and slant height of a cone?

The slant height of a cone is the distance from the base to the apex along the curved surface. The height of a cone is the distance from the base to the apex along a straight line. The relationship between the two is given by the Pythagorean theorem: h² + r² = s², where h is the height, r is the radius of the base, and s is the slant height.

5. How is the surface area of a cone calculated?

The surface area of a cone can be calculated using the formula SA = πr(r + s), where r is the radius of the base and s is the slant height.