Need Help Wiring a large LED to Run Off Batteries

In summary, the conversation is about building a battery powered china lantern using a specific LED bulb that is designed for AC power. The goal is to have it suspended from a pole for use in filming. The suggested solution is to use a power inverter and a specific website is recommended for purchasing one. Alternatively, the LED module can be purchased separately and wired with 2-3 batteries.
taylorbrush
I'm a documentary filmmaker and I am trying to build battery powered china lantern using an 13w Evolux SH LED array light bulb (http://eartheasy.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=EvoLuxSH).

I'd like to use something like D-Cell rechargable batteries, possibly from a modified light bulb, although since this bulb is made for AC power, I may need some sort of power inverter. It accepts 90~277 V AC.

Does anyone have any ideas about powering this with batteries? The objective is to have it suspended from a cable attached to a pole raised in the air so that we can have light for the camera as we film. Battery powered so we don't have to worry about trailing an extention cord.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You would need an inverter.

Someone found this site in another thread a few weeks ago:
http://www.batterymart.com/p-acc-pi-75-75-watt-power-inverter.html

They have other inverters as well as batteries and battery chargers.

If you like the packaging and diffusive dome, you can buy it, strip out the PCB and directly wire to the CREE XRE-LED module using between 2 and 3 1.5V batteries (some 'fresh' alkalines are 1.5V, while fully charged NiMHs or NiCads are 1.2V--under no conditions should you exceed the 3.9V listed on the datasheet):
http://www.ledsupply.com/docs/cree-xre.pdf

Or you can just buy the module itself for slightly less and wire it up as suggested above.

EDIT: Clearly, you need an integer value of batteries! I meant to say either 2 or 3 of the 1.2 to 1.5V batteries you have.

Last edited:

Related to Need Help Wiring a large LED to Run Off Batteries

1. How do I determine the correct wiring for my large LED to run off batteries?

The first step is to check the specifications of your LED and batteries. Calculate the required voltage and current for your LED and make sure your batteries can provide that amount. Next, you will need to determine the correct resistor to use in the circuit to limit the current and prevent damage to the LED.

2. Can I use any type of batteries to power my LED?

It is important to use the correct type and size of batteries for your LED. Make sure the voltage of your batteries matches the required voltage of your LED. Additionally, using rechargeable batteries may be more cost-efficient in the long run.

3. How do I connect the wires to the LED and batteries?

You will need to use a soldering iron to connect the wires to the LED and batteries. It is important to ensure that the positive and negative terminals are correctly connected to the LED and batteries to avoid damaging the circuit.

4. How long will the LED run on batteries?

This will depend on the capacity of your batteries and the power consumption of your LED. You can calculate the estimated run time by dividing the battery capacity (in amp-hours) by the current required by the LED (in amps).

5. Can I add multiple LEDs to the same battery circuit?

Yes, you can add multiple LEDs to the same battery circuit as long as the total current required by all the LEDs does not exceed the capacity of your batteries. Make sure to adjust the resistor to accommodate the additional LEDs and prevent overloading the circuit.