Nernst equation - Lambda Sensor

In summary, John is asking about the relationship between voltage and oxygen transport through an uncharacterized solid electrolyte. He wonders why voltage decreases as oxygen transport increases in the rich (lambda<1) region. He also asks why the behavior changes with temperature, and if anyone knows why this is the case.
H3ll4s
Hello everyone,

I am not sure if this question is comfortable in the chemistry section but I will try my luck. I have been dealing with lambda sensors a little bit and when I look at the characteristic voltage lambda curve I keep asking myself why it flatens out when getting into the rich (lambda<1) region. I have read somewhere that it is due to the maximum electrolyte's conductivity, which makes sense but is not very satisfying. My question is whether or not this statement is correct and by which equation it can be described. I see so many plotted curves but nowhere any clues how they did it . Just a mention of the nernst equation, which only describes the part lambda>=1 (right?). And if someone also knows why the flatened part (lambda<1) decreases with increasing temperature (increase in temperature should mean increase in conductivity, thus higher voltage to my understanding) I would be very thankful.

Thanks in advance
John
wide_b1.jpg

Chemistry news on Phys.org
H3ll4s said:
(snip) ... why it flatens out when getting into the rich (lambda<1) region. I have read somewhere that it is due to the maximum electrolyte's conductivity, which makes sense but is not very satisfying. My question is whether or not this statement is correct and by which equation it can be described.
An equation to describe oxygen transport through an uncharacterized solid electrolyte? Should be good for a Master's for you.
H3ll4s said:
I see so many plotted curves but nowhere any clues how they did it . Just a mention of the nernst equation, which only describes the part lambda>=1 (right?).
The plots are of real measurements, "this vs. that."
H3ll4s said:
And if someone also knows why the flatened part (lambda<1) decreases with increasing temperature (increase in temperature should mean increase in conductivity, thus higher voltage to my understanding) I would be very thankful.
Conductivity increases with T for some materials, and decreases for others. Oxygen transport should be increasing, and hydrogen transport should be increasing in the opposite direction, perhaps more quickly than the oxygen transport.

Related to Nernst equation - Lambda Sensor

1. What is the Nernst equation?

The Nernst equation is an equation used to calculate the equilibrium potential (also known as the Nernst potential) of an electrochemical cell. It relates the concentrations of reactants and products in a cell to the cell's voltage.

2. What is a Lambda sensor?

A Lambda sensor, also known as an oxygen sensor, is a device used to measure the amount of oxygen in a gas or liquid. In the automotive industry, it is commonly used to measure the amount of oxygen in a vehicle's exhaust gases to help regulate the air-fuel ratio.

3. How does the Nernst equation relate to Lambda sensors?

The Nernst equation is used to calculate the equilibrium potential of a cell, which is necessary for the proper functioning of a Lambda sensor. The sensor uses this information to measure the oxygen concentration in the exhaust gases and provide feedback to the engine control unit to adjust the air-fuel ratio.

4. What factors affect the accuracy of the Nernst equation and Lambda sensors?

The accuracy of the Nernst equation and Lambda sensors can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of other gases in the exhaust. Contaminants on the sensor surface or damaged wiring can also impact the accuracy of the readings.

5. Are there any limitations to the Nernst equation and Lambda sensors?

While the Nernst equation and Lambda sensors are widely used and reliable, they do have some limitations. They may not accurately measure oxygen concentrations in certain conditions, such as during cold starts or when the engine is running at a high speed. They also require regular maintenance and calibration to ensure accurate readings.