Net force on 3 parallel wires carrying current.

In summary, the distance between the wires should be converted to meters and the absolute value of the current should be used in the calculation. Additionally, the distances used in the calculation should correspond to the number of wires between them. The correct net force exerted on wire 1 by the other two wires is 0.004N.
Motorscooter

Homework Statement

You are given 3 wires parallel to each other
(1)------> I
(2)<-------I
(3)------->I
http://www.webassign.net/knight/p32-38alt1.gif (not sure it this link works)
I1=I2=I3 = 16A
the distance between the wires is d=2cm

length of the wires is l= 50cm

Homework Equations

I assume I need to use the μ0 * I1*I2*l/(2∏*d)

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated that the middle wires force is 0
but for the first wire I tried solving for the force for 1 on 2 and then 1 on 3 and subtracting them because wire 2 repels wire 1 and wire 3 attracts wire 1 I ended up with:
Force 1 on 2 = .0128 N
Force 1 on 3 = .0064 N
I am pretty sure I converted the units correctly but the answer is wrong. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. Your approach is correct, but there are a few things that need to be adjusted.

Firstly, the equation you have used is correct, but you need to use the absolute value of the current for the calculation. This is because the direction of the current will not affect the magnitude of the force, only the direction.

Secondly, the distance between the wires should be converted to meters (m), as the units for the permeability of free space (μ0) are in N/A^2. So, the distance should be 0.02m.

Lastly, when calculating the force exerted by wire 2 on wire 1, you need to use the distance between wire 1 and wire 2, which is 0.04m (since they are 2cm apart and there are 2 wires between them). Similarly, for the force exerted by wire 3 on wire 1, you need to use the distance of 0.06m (since there are 3 wires between them).

Using these adjustments, the force exerted by wire 2 on wire 1 would be 0.008N and the force exerted by wire 3 on wire 1 would be 0.004N. Subtracting these two forces, you would get a net force of 0.004N exerted on wire 1 by the other two wires.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

Related to Net force on 3 parallel wires carrying current.

What is net force on 3 parallel wires carrying current?

The net force on 3 parallel wires carrying current is the sum of all the individual forces exerted on each wire. It is determined by the magnetic fields created by the current in each wire, and the direction and magnitude of the current flow.

How is the net force on 3 parallel wires calculated?

The net force on 3 parallel wires can be calculated using the formula F=ILB, where F is the force, I is the current, L is the length of the wire, and B is the magnetic field. This formula takes into account the direction and magnitude of the current flow and the magnetic fields created by each wire.

What factors affect the net force on 3 parallel wires carrying current?

The net force on 3 parallel wires carrying current can be affected by several factors, including the direction and magnitude of the current flow, the distance between the wires, and the strength of the magnetic fields created by the current in each wire.

Can the net force on 3 parallel wires carrying current be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the net force on 3 parallel wires carrying current to be zero. This can occur if the current in each wire is equal and flowing in opposite directions, or if the wires are positioned in a way that the magnetic fields created by each wire cancel each other out.

How does the net force on 3 parallel wires carrying current affect the wires?

The net force on 3 parallel wires carrying current can cause the wires to move or experience a torque. This can be seen in applications such as electric motors, where the net force on the wires causes them to rotate and produce mechanical work.