Neutrinos and theoretical necessity

marce
- One of the most fascinating particles for me , have always been neutrino's because of them balancing between mass and massless properties. So the question 'why was this needed' in the context of the weak force has led me to the question : as with attempts to explain 3 generations of particles ,could the neutrino be explained from a theoretical derivation(s) as a result 'or needed'. Has it been done , or are there attempts to do that ?

M.

Physics news on Phys.org
marce said:
balancing between mass and massless properties
Huh? Name one massless property of neutrinos.

marce said:
why was this needed
How is that any different from the question "why are electrons needed?" or this one "why are quarks needed?"

Likes Vanadium 50
@phinds has a point "why is [insert particle here] needed"? Is a why question. Do I have to add a link to Feynman here?

You can ask why some particles were introduced, for example the Higgs was introduced because we needed an additional field to add mass to some particles. The neutrino was introduced to conserve momentum in beta decay.

Likes ohwilleke, marce and pinball1970
marce said:
- One of the most fascinating particles for me , have always been neutrino's because of them balancing between mass and massless properties. So the question 'why was this needed' in the context of the weak force has led me to the question : as with attempts to explain 3 generations of particles ,could the neutrino be explained from a theoretical derivation(s) as a result 'or needed'. Has it been done , or are there attempts to do that ?

M.
a summary here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrino

If you scroll to History and Pauli's proposal and beta decay as per @pines-demon

Likes PeroK
marce said:
- One of the most fascinating particles for me , have always been neutrino's.
Sorry to nitpick, but why the apostrophe?

>...Huh? Name one massless property of neutrinos.
- I thought the lightest one was massless

>..."why are electrons needed?" or this one "why are quarks needed?"
Well the question arises from : why the weak interaction needed this so small correction and can it be modeled theoretically

M.

phyzguy said:
Sorry to nitpick, but why the apostrophe?
Relax, it's a massless apostrophe. :wink:

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Vanadium 50, phyzguy, PeroK and 1 other person
marce said:
No
marce said:
Well the question arises from : why the weak interaction needed this so small correction and can it be modeled theoretically
That would just move the question to "why is the weak force needed?"

Why is nobody tagging me here? 🤔

marce said:
phinds said:
No
Perhaps. It is not known.

What we know about neutrino masses is their mass squared differences. Even if they are all non-zero, it does not rule out that the lightest neutrino could be massless.

marce said:
why the weak interaction needed this so small correction and can it be modeled theoretically
It is not a small correction to a lot of processes, such as many radioactive decays.

• Informative
Likes ohwilleke, pinball1970, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
Orodruin said:
What we know about neutrino masses is their mass squared differences. Even if they are all non-zero, it does not rule out that the lightest neutrino could be massless
Thanks. I didn't realize that.

marce said:
could the neutrino be explained from a theoretical derivation(s) as a result 'or needed'. Has it been done , or are there attempts to do that ?
Apart from the original introduction by Pauli (which was needed for momentum/energy conservation as mentioned, but at least as importantly for angular momentum conservation), there are also many arguments in hindsight. For example, without the neutrino the electron could not interact at all via charged currents. The field content of the Standard Model is also quite particular in that gauge anomalies all cancel out - making the theory self-consistent. This would not happen without the neutrino.

Likes ohwilleke and marce
phinds said:
No

That would just move the question to "why is the weak force needed?"
No my question was : why did the weak force need such a nearly none-existing particle ?

marce said:
No my question was : why did the weak force need such a nearly none-existing particle ?
Neutrinos are the second most abundant (known) particle in the Universe. I would hardly classify that as ”near non-existance” …

Likes Klystron and Vanadium 50
marce said:
I was trying to help you understand that you might as well ask why does ANYTHING exist?

phinds said:
Thanks. I didn't realize that.
Indeed : ref https://golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/2022/12/neutrino_dark_matter.html
>...
>In Turok’s theory all the neutrinos have Majorana masses, described by a mass matrix. To make the heaviest right-handed neutrino stable, a bunch of matrix entries must vanish—and this makes the lightest left-handed neutrino massless!

M.

marce said:
In Turok’s theory all the neutrinos have Majorana masses, described by a mass matrix. To make the heaviest right-handed neutrino stable, a bunch of matrix entries must vanish—and this makes the lightest left-handed neutrino massless!
This is not a theory confirmed by experiment. As I have already mentioned, whether the lightest neutrino is massless or not is still unknown.

Likes marce and pines-demon
Orodruin said:
Neutrinos are the second most abundant (known) particle in the Universe. I would hardly classify that as ”near non-existance” …
Actually that confirms my question , but let's not dig into talk-at-the-bar (indeed)

phinds said:
I was trying to help you understand that you might as well ask why does ANYTHING exist?
ANYTHING was introduced by Parmenides to explain the existence of something in the absence of nothing.

pines-demon said:
ANYTHING was introduced by Parmenides to explain something in the absence of nothing.
I would like to avoid going that path , and stay focused on a specific topic.

marce said:
I would like to avoid going that path , and stay focused on a specific topic.
So what else do you want to know? It was a "why" question, can you narrow it into a non-"why" question?

marce said:
Actually that confirms my question , but let's not dig into talk-at-the-bar (indeed)
Your question seems to have been answered. If not you need a better defined question.

Likes Vanadium 50
pines-demon said:
So what else do you want to know? It was a "why" question, can you narrow it into a non-"why" question?
Really !?

OK, so lets try this. Why are neutrinos needed? Because we see them coming out of reactors, accelerators, radioactive sources and supernovae.

Likes Klystron, Orodruin and PeroK
Oops...and the sun and the upper atmosphere.

marce said:
Really !?
Exactly like that, this is better than a why question.

marce said:
At least two neutrinos are massive. There are probably three massive neutrinos, which there is lots of theoretical motivation for, but this hasn't been definitively confirmed. There is certainly no strong evidence that the lightest neutrino is massless. The mass of the lightest neutrino is probably on the order of 1 meV or less (i.e. 0.001 eV) which is a couple of orders of magnitude smaller than can be directly measured at this time. That estimate is based upon the differences between the neutrino masses which is determined from neutrino oscillation observations, and based upon cosmology based upper limits on the sum of the three neutrino masses.

The Standard Model assumed that all three neutrinos were massless until neutrino oscillation was discovered, and some pedantic folks would say that neutrino mass still isn't part of the Standard Model because the way that neutrino mass arises hasn't been determined, but it is a pretty fussy way to define the term Standard Model, and most people when they are talking about the Standard Model of Particle Physics include massive neutrinos and the PMNS matrix governing their oscillations.
marce said:
In addition to (1) the conservation of mass-energy in W boson interactions, neutrinos were found to be necessary due to the way that (2) their existence produces the right branching fractions in the decay of W bosons and Z bosons, and (3) because without them, the conservation of lepton number which is observed in all experimental high energy physics tests requires them to work. They are also something that can be detected with instruments and in the case of high energy neutrinos aren't so small.

Except that the neutrino was discovered 27 years before the W was discovered and 8 years before it was even proposed.

Likes pines-demon