Neutron spallation and capture

In summary, the conversation is discussing the availability of good tables for low energy nuclear processes, specifically focusing on collisions and products such as proton into a material yields neutrons, neutron into a material is captured to give different element, and electron into a proton yields a neutron. The conversation then delves into more specific questions, such as the chance of getting a neutron from a proton beam and the most energy efficient way to create a macroscopic amount of Tritium from Lithium-6. Suggestions for resources, such as the National Nuclear Data Center website and the EMPIRE-II model code, are also mentioned.
JustinLevy
Does anyone know where I can find good tables for low energy nuclear processes?
For example collisions to products like:
- proton into a material yields neutrons
- neutron into a material is captured to give different element
- electron into a proton yields a neutron
etc.

Here's an example type question I'd like to be able to look up. Let's say I made a depleted Uranium and Lithium alloy. Now I shoot a proton beam in at energy E. What's the chance I get a neutron which is then captured by Lithium to eventually give me Tritium?

If I collide a proton with energy E with an electron gas, what's the chance I get a neutron coming out?

etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm... too broad a question?

Alright, well then here's a more focussed question.
If I wanted to create Tritium from Lithium-6, what is the most energy efficient way to get a macroscopic amount?

JustinLevy said:
Hmm... too broad a question?

Alright, well then here's a more focussed question.
If I wanted to create Tritium from Lithium-6, what is the most energy efficient way to get a macroscopic amount?
Neutron capture, which is how it is done for large masses of T.

Maybe - http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/

I'm not familiar with this but -
http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/nndcscr/model-codes/empire-ii/

Related to Neutron spallation and capture

1. What is neutron spallation and capture?

Neutron spallation and capture is a nuclear reaction in which a high-energy neutron collides with a target nucleus, causing it to split into smaller fragments or capture the neutron, resulting in a new, heavier nucleus.

2. How does neutron spallation and capture differ from other nuclear reactions?

Unlike other nuclear reactions, neutron spallation and capture does not require a sustained chain reaction and can occur with very high energy neutrons, making it useful for producing rare isotopes and studying nuclear structure.

3. What are the applications of neutron spallation and capture?

Neutron spallation and capture has various applications in nuclear physics research, including producing isotopes for medical and industrial use, studying nuclear structure and properties, and developing new nuclear technologies.

4. How is neutron spallation and capture used in particle accelerators?

Particle accelerators use intense beams of high-energy protons to generate neutrons through spallation reactions, which can then be used for research or to produce isotopes. These neutrons can also be used for neutron therapy in cancer treatment.

5. What are the safety considerations for using neutron spallation and capture?

Neutron spallation and capture reactions produce high levels of radiation, which can be dangerous if not properly shielded. Safety protocols and protective measures are in place to ensure the safe use of this nuclear reaction in research and industrial applications.