New Balance Reading After Adding a Stone: X + Y - Z?

In summary: If you assume that the stone is allowed to sink freely and come to rest at the bottom of the cup (so there are no external forces acting), then what the balance reads should only depend upon the total mass and the total volume of air displaced by the "object" that is the cup+water+stone.
songoku

Homework Statement

A cup of water has weight X. A stone has weight Y in the air is immersed fully in the cup and it displaces water of weight Z. What will be the new reading on the balance after the stone is immersed inside the cup?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess that the new reading will be X + Y - Z, where X is the weight of the cup and Y - Z is additional weight by the stone (weight of stone in water). Am I correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
My guess that the new reading will be X + Y - Z, where X is the weight of the cup and Y - Z is additional weight by the stone (weight of stone in water)
So, if you were to use a stone that displaces all the water(Z=X), you'd make the water weightless?

Bandersnatch said:
So, if you were to use a stone that displaces all the water(Z=X), you'd make the water weightless?

errr...didn't cross my mind before :redface:

So, second guess, X + Z. The weight of water will be added by the weight displaced by the stone. Correct?

Thanks

I think you'd better define what the balance is weighing. What's on the balance?

Does the displaced water remain in the cup, or does it overflow and become lost?

gneill said:
I think you'd better define what the balance is weighing. What's on the balance?

Does the displaced water remain in the cup, or does it overflow and become lost?

The displaced water remains in the cup.

I think the balance weighs the normal force acting on it. My guess still X + Z

Thanks

I think the answer would be different based on whether the rock had just become fully emerged and was still sinking toward the bottom, or whether the rock had already come to rest at the bottom of the cup, would it not?

songoku said:
The displaced water remains in the cup.

I think the balance weighs the normal force acting on it.
So the balance is weighing the cup and all its contents, while the stone was weighed separately (yielding weight Y in air). That is: the cup is on the pan of the balance; the cup has water in it; the stone is added to the cup.
My guess still X + Z
That would depend upon whether the stone is allowed to sink to the bottom of the cup, or is being held in a fixed position under the water by some external force.

If you assume that the stone is allowed to sink freely and come to rest at the bottom of the cup (so there are no external forces acting), then what the balance reads should only depend upon the total mass and the total volume of air displaced by the "object" that is the cup+water+stone.

Does the total amount of air displaced by all the objects change when the stone is immersed?

Related to New Balance Reading After Adding a Stone: X + Y - Z?

1. What is "New Balance Reading After Adding a Stone: X + Y - Z"?

"New Balance Reading After Adding a Stone: X + Y - Z" is a scientific measurement technique used to determine the balance of a system after adding a stone to it. The equation X + Y - Z represents the initial balance (X) plus the weight of the stone added (Y) minus the final balance (Z).

2. How is this measurement technique performed?

This measurement technique is typically performed by placing the system on a balance scale and recording the initial balance. Then, the stone is added and the final balance is recorded. The equation X + Y - Z is then used to calculate the new balance.

3. What is the purpose of using this technique?

The purpose of using this technique is to determine the effect of adding a stone to a system. It can be used to measure changes in weight, mass, or other physical properties of the system. This information can be useful in various scientific and engineering applications.

4. What variables are involved in this equation?

The variables involved in this equation are X, Y, and Z. X represents the initial balance of the system, Y represents the weight of the stone added, and Z represents the final balance after the stone has been added.

5. Are there any limitations to this technique?

Yes, there are limitations to this technique. It assumes that the stone being added is the only variable affecting the balance of the system. It also assumes that the balance scale is accurate and precise. Additionally, this technique may not be suitable for measuring changes in systems with very small values or in systems where the added stone significantly alters the overall balance.