New Horizons Launch _Thurs Jan 19th_ ~1pm

In summary, the Pluto probe was launched yesterday and is now on its way to Pluto. The launch went without any problems and the probe is now on its way to Pluto.
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Anyone else watching the Launch of the Pluto probe?

www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

They've just filled the Helium and Oxygen tanks to flight levels and are performing tests on them.

About T minus 35-40 minutes.

Physics news on Phys.org
9 Years..

Ill be 26 before i get tosee any images of pluto..

Yep. Better to do it now than wait... otherwise, your kids would be dead by the time we saw any.

T minus 13 minutes with a 10 minute hold scheduled.

Just got pushed back about 20 minutes due to low clouds.

New launch time scheduled for 1:25

Damn clouds...

Wow, I've never watched a life space launch before. The wonders of the internet!
(although at this rate, I won't get to... Damn clouds.)

What's with the clouds? I think they're just worried about a photo op. Time to light the fuse!

There's a bunch of people here watching the launch, cameras in hand, standing on the beach and hoping!

OK. Go for launch at 2pm EST

Physics forum;;;

<physics forums go for launch>

Blast off, etc... :biggrin:

Oh well, I got to this thread just in time to go to the linked sites and find the thing had just lifted off a couple minutes before I got there. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
Oh well, I got to this thread just in time to go to the linked sites and find the thing had just lifted off a couple minutes before I got there. :rolleyes:
It was pretty standard. I wouldn't worry about it.

Aw, I missed it.

</3

It already passed the moon - around 11 PM [EST?] last night! Didn't the lunar missions require about three days to get there?

A buddy of mine worked on the nuclear power supply on this one. :approve:

Related to New Horizons Launch _Thurs Jan 19th_ ~1pm

1. What is the New Horizons Launch on Thursday, January 19th?

The New Horizons Launch is a spacecraft launch that is scheduled to take place on Thursday, January 19th at approximately 1pm. It is the first mission to Pluto and the Kuiper Belt and will provide valuable information and images of these distant regions of our solar system.

2. What is the purpose of the New Horizons Launch?

The New Horizons Launch is a NASA mission that aims to study Pluto and its moons, as well as other objects in the Kuiper Belt. The spacecraft will collect data and images that will help scientists better understand the formation and evolution of our solar system.

3. How long will the New Horizons spacecraft take to reach Pluto?

The New Horizons spacecraft is expected to take approximately 9.5 years to reach Pluto. It will travel over 3 billion miles to reach its destination, making it one of the longest space missions in history.

4. What kind of technology is onboard the New Horizons spacecraft?

The New Horizons spacecraft is equipped with advanced technology, including cameras, spectrometers, and other instruments that will allow it to collect data and images of Pluto and the Kuiper Belt. It also has a radioisotope thermoelectric generator to provide power for the long journey.

5. How will the New Horizons Launch benefit scientific research?

The New Horizons Launch will provide scientists with valuable data and images of Pluto and the Kuiper Belt, which will help us better understand the formation and evolution of our solar system. It will also provide insights into the composition and atmosphere of these distant objects, as well as their potential for containing organic materials.