New ideas on the mechanism of solar CME's

In summary, the conversation mainly revolves around solar activity and recent studies and computer models that have led to a better understanding of CMEs and other mass ejections from the sun. The participants also discuss their personal interest in solar astronomy and their experiences observing the sun. They also touch upon the issue of science reporting and how it tends to sensationalize incremental advancements as groundbreaking discoveries.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
hi guys

solar activity has been a love of mine since the early 1970's and am always looking out
for new research info :smile:

some recent studies and lots of computer animations have come up with new understandings
of the mechanisms that instigate CME's and other mass ejections from the sun

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddar...nism-to-describe-solar-eruptions-of-all-sizes

follow some of the other in text links for lots of related infoDave

Likes 1oldman2, OmCheeto and Ken G
Astronomy news on Phys.org
WOW, I must be the only solar astronomer here ?? :-p

Actually I find all this very interesting as well, but I must admit this latest press release strikes me as the usual incremental advance being touted as some fundamental breakthrough. The basic story of erupting filaments as CMEs has been around for 30 years at least, and the idea that big events might be the tip of the iceberg of many much smaller events has been one of the theories on the table for almost as long. So they have some new data that supports this longstanding hypothesis, which is very important and newsworthy and I'm glad you brought our attention to it. I just wish science writers could report this stuff without always painting it like a shocking new theory that just appeared yesterday. What happens over and over is, the reporter asks the new researcher to put their result in a context, so the researcher describes some decades-old theory that they set out to test in the first place, and the reporter writes it up like it is some kind of breakthrough in the thinking on the topic. Incremental results seem too boring, so instead they distort the actual process by which science gets done. I would find it pretty frustrating if I were one of the people who originally advanced the idea, but most of them are retired by now!

Likes davenn and Ryan_m_b
Ken G said:
I just wish science writers could report this stuff without always painting it like a shocking new theory that just appeared yesterday.

yes agreed

Much of it is relatively old news to any of us into solar astronomy ... but at least it rehilites the info for newcomers to the subject
I have been into it for almost 50 years now. I was about 10 yrs old when I got my first decent telescope (8" Newtonian) that I was able to put a filter on and then spend many years drawing sunspots onto paper using the eyepiece projection method.
I really only stopped doing that in the early-mid 1990's when the internet started taking off and I found sources of solar images for downloading.
and have been doing that ever since from the SOHO and other new spacecraft data, eg SDO and ground based observatories

https://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov/newsite/images.htmlDave

Yes those images are amazing, and I can drive to the August eclipse, so I'm looking forward to seeing it in real time.

Likes davenn
Ken G said:
Yes those images are amazing, and I can drive to the August eclipse, so I'm looking forward to seeing it in real time.

cool :) am envious
I was considering traveling to the US for the eclipse but the lack of funds and annual leave credits has killed that idea :frown:
will have to await another one closer to home

Dave

Ken G said:
Actually I find all this very interesting as well, but I must admit this latest press release strikes me as the usual incremental advance being touted as some fundamental breakthrough. The basic story of erupting filaments as CMEs has been around for 30 years at least, and the idea that big events might be the tip of the iceberg of many much smaller events has been one of the theories on the table for almost as long. So they have some new data that supports this longstanding hypothesis, which is very important and newsworthy and I'm glad you brought our attention to it. I just wish science writers could report this stuff without always painting it like a shocking new theory that just appeared yesterday. What happens over and over is, the reporter asks the new researcher to put their result in a context, so the researcher describes some decades-old theory that they set out to test in the first place, and the reporter writes it up like it is some kind of breakthrough in the thinking on the topic. Incremental results seem too boring, so instead they distort the actual process by which science gets done. I would find it pretty frustrating if I were one of the people who originally advanced the idea, but most of them are retired by now!

I tend to agree. I think it's useful however to look a the computer models as incremental improvements to work that has already been done in the past on the topic of solar atmospheric physics, in some cases more than a century ago:

Likes davenn
Ken G said:

ME TOO!

Related to New ideas on the mechanism of solar CME's

1. What are solar CMEs?

Solar CMEs (Coronal Mass Ejections) are large-scale eruptions of plasma and magnetic fields from the Sun's corona that can release a significant amount of energy and particles into space.

2. How do CMEs form?

CMEs are thought to form when the Sun's magnetic field lines become twisted and unstable, leading to the release of energy and plasma into space.

3. What impact do CMEs have on Earth?

CMEs can have a range of impacts on Earth, including disrupting satellite and radio communications, creating geomagnetic storms and auroras, and potentially damaging power grids and other infrastructure.

4. What is the current understanding of the mechanism behind CMEs?

The current understanding is that CMEs are driven by a process called magnetic reconnection, where the Sun's magnetic field lines rearrange and release energy, leading to the ejection of plasma and magnetic fields into space.

5. How do new ideas about the mechanism of CMEs impact our understanding of space weather and potential mitigation efforts?

New ideas on the mechanism of CMEs can help improve our understanding of space weather and potentially lead to more accurate predictions and better mitigation efforts. By understanding the underlying processes driving CMEs, we can better prepare for potential impacts on Earth and develop strategies to minimize their effects.