Designing a Custom Sliderule for Long Range Rifle Shooting

In summary, the speaker is a competitive long range rifle shooter who wants to create a slide rule type of instrument to convert the known height of their target in mils to the distance in yards. They mention a comparable product called the Mildot Master, but it does not meet their specific needs. The speaker wants the inches on the left side, mils in the middle, and yardage on the right. They mention that the math portion is simple, but the spacing of the scales is critical and may differ. They are asking for guidance or suggestions on where to find a blank nomogram or modify an existing one.
brianf
"new" sliderule

Hi guys, this may not be a regular question but, I am a competitive long range rifle shooter. I would like to make a slide rule type of instrument that takes the known height of my paper target in mils (1 mil is approx 3.6" at 100yards) and converts it to the distance in yards.

It is a little more complicated than I though when I first started on it, and I really do not have the time to "play around with it".

There is a comparable type of instrument called the Mildot Master (can be bought online) but has the size in mils on the left hand side and is not a perfect match for my particular needs.

I would like to go from 6" to 10', and from 100 to 1500 yards approx.

Unlike the other product I would like the inches on the left side, Mils in the middle and the yardage/ answer on the right.

The math portion is rather simple, but it becomes difficult to have them all correlate. The spacing of the different scales becomes critically important, because 1, 2, or all three may have different spacing.

If you are not interested in this project, I would really appreciate it if you would steer me in the right direction.

Thank you for your time,

Brian Finamore

brianf@geminipharm.com

Commack, NY 11725

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't quite follow your calculation desire, but it sounds like you want a nomogram. I don't know where you can buy blank ones, but lots of people give out ones for other purposes that you could modify.

Hello Brian,

Thank you for reaching out with your project idea. I find it fascinating to see how different fields intersect and the solutions that can be created through collaboration and innovation.

Designing a custom sliderule for long range rifle shooting is definitely a unique and interesting idea. It seems like you have a clear understanding of your needs and have already done some research on existing products.

In order to create a successful and accurate sliderule for your specific needs, I would recommend consulting with experts in the fields of mathematics, physics, and engineering. They can help you with the technical aspects of designing a sliderule that takes into account the different scales and spacing required for your calculations.

Additionally, reaching out to experienced long range rifle shooters and getting their input and feedback on the design and functionality of your sliderule could also be beneficial. They may have insights and suggestions based on their own experiences and needs.

I would also suggest considering the materials and construction of your sliderule to ensure durability and accuracy. It may be helpful to consult with materials scientists and manufacturers to find the best options for your project.

Overall, I believe your idea has a lot of potential and with the right expertise and collaboration, you can create a useful and effective tool for long range rifle shooting. I wish you the best of luck with your project.

Best,

1. How do you determine the appropriate scale for a custom sliderule for long range rifle shooting?

The appropriate scale for a custom sliderule for long range rifle shooting is determined by the maximum distance you plan to shoot and the specific ammunition you will be using. This information will help you calculate the necessary adjustments for windage and elevation.

2. Can a custom sliderule be used for multiple rifles or does it need to be tailored to a specific rifle?

A custom sliderule can be used for multiple rifles as long as they have similar ballistic characteristics. However, for the most accurate results, it is recommended to tailor the sliderule to a specific rifle and ammunition combination.

3. What materials are typically used to make a custom sliderule for long range rifle shooting?

Custom sliderules for long range rifle shooting are typically made from durable materials such as plastic, metal, or wood. The scale markings are usually engraved or printed on the sliderule for longevity.

4. How do you calibrate a custom sliderule for long range rifle shooting?

To calibrate a custom sliderule for long range rifle shooting, you will need to gather data on your specific rifle and ammunition combination. This can include muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient, and atmospheric conditions. This data will then be used to determine the appropriate scale markings for the sliderule.

5. Can a custom sliderule be used in all weather conditions?

Yes, a custom sliderule for long range rifle shooting can be used in all weather conditions as long as the scale markings are properly protected from moisture and the sliderule is made from a durable material. It is important to keep the sliderule dry and clean for accurate readings.