New to the forums need some help with signal analysis

In summary, the person is taking a class and is struggling to find resources for studying. They ask for recommendations for a website or ebook that can help with beginner signal analysis. They also provide a homework problem involving determining a formula, fundamental period, and plotting the spectrum for a given signal. They mention using the Euler inverse cosine formula but do not understand why. Finally, they ask for resources for DSP and inquire about the result of convolving a cosine random variable function and a noise signal.
stefan1988
Im taking This class EEL3135 and I am very lost and confused as to how to study or where to find resources to understand the material.

does anybody know of a good website for beginner signal analysis? or a good reference ebook etc to help me out with it? the ones i seen are far too advanced and complicated for the stuff we doing.

Homework Statement

here is the problem I am looking at.
a.Determine a formula for x(t) as the real part of a sum of complex exponentials.
b.what is the fundamental period for x(t)
c.plot the spectrum for x(t)
X(T)=sin^3(27PI t)

Homework Equations

euler inverse cosθ=(e^θ+e^θ)/(2) i don't really understand why we use this formula

The Attempt at a Solution

i started for first expansion i got
(-e^54pit)/4 +0.5+(e^-54pit)/4

after third expansion i got
(-e^81pit)/(8j)+(3e^27pit/8j)+(-3e^27pit)/(8j)+ (-e^81pit/8j)

is there an easier way to do this than big expansion?

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry for the late reply. thanks for the links =D

when a cosine random variable function and a noise signal are convolved the result is a random variable..but will it be a guassian function

Hello and welcome to the forums! Signal analysis can be a challenging subject, especially for beginners. It's great that you are seeking help and resources to better understand the material. One helpful tip for studying signal analysis is to start with the basics and build your understanding from there. It's important to have a strong foundation in concepts such as complex numbers, Fourier series, and the Fourier transform. There are many online resources and textbooks available that explain these concepts in a beginner-friendly way. Some good websites for beginner signal analysis include Khan Academy, All About Circuits, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

In regards to the specific problem you mentioned, it seems like you are on the right track with your expansions. However, there may be a more efficient way to solve it. I would suggest reviewing the properties of trigonometric identities and the Euler formula to see if you can simplify your expansions. It's also helpful to practice with different types of signals to gain a better understanding of how to approach these problems.

Lastly, it's important to understand why we use certain formulas in signal analysis. The Euler formula you mentioned is used to convert complex numbers from rectangular form to polar form. This is important because the Fourier transform deals with complex numbers in polar form.

I hope this helps and good luck with your studies!

Related to New to the forums need some help with signal analysis

1. What is signal analysis?

Signal analysis is the process of studying and interpreting data from a signal, which can be any type of information that changes over time. This can include audio, video, or other types of electronic signals. The goal of signal analysis is to extract meaningful insights and patterns from the data in order to make informed decisions or predictions.

2. Why is signal analysis important?

Signal analysis is important because it allows us to understand and make use of the vast amounts of data that we collect in our daily lives. It is used in a wide range of fields, including telecommunications, medicine, and finance, to improve the quality of information and make more accurate predictions.

3. What are some common techniques used in signal analysis?

Some common techniques used in signal analysis include Fourier analysis, wavelet analysis, and time series analysis. These techniques involve breaking down a complex signal into simpler components, analyzing the frequency or amplitude of the signal, and looking for patterns over time.

4. How do I get started with signal analysis?

If you are new to signal analysis, the first step is to familiarize yourself with the basic concepts and techniques. There are many online resources, books, and courses available to help you learn the fundamentals. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of mathematics, statistics, and computer programming, as these skills are often used in signal analysis.

5. What are some challenges in signal analysis?

One of the main challenges in signal analysis is dealing with noisy or incomplete data. This can make it difficult to extract meaningful information from the signal and may require advanced techniques or specialized software. Another challenge is choosing the most appropriate analysis method for a particular type of signal, as different signals may require different approaches.