Newtonian Gravity involving spheres in a trigonal pyramid

In summary, the problem involves three fixed spherical masses and a small fourth mass placed at point A. The distance between the two 1.76×10^9 kg masses is 6m and the fourth mass falls a distance of approximately 8.999973204m. The goal is to find the speed of the fourth mass when it reaches point B, the midpoint between the two 1.76×10^9 kg masses. The suggested approach is to compare the gravitational potential of the original configuration to that when the small mass is at B.
JennV

Homework Statement

In deep space, three spherical masses are held in fixed positions (by rods light compared to the masses) at three corners of a square of side length sqrt(18) m as shown. The masses of the three spheres are m1 = m3 = 1.76×10^9 kg, and m2 = 2.75×10^9 kg. A relatively small fourth mass is placed at point A, and released from rest. By symmetry it accelerates straight down.

What is the speed of the fourth mass when it reaches point B, the midpoint between the two 1.76×109 kg spheres? (Note the acceleration is not constant, so you can't use constant acceleration kinematics.)

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9571/ch12u.jpg

Homework Equations

GMm / r

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that the fourth small mass falls a distance of approximately 8.999973204m by:
The distance between m1 and m3 is c^2 = (sqrt18)^2 + (sqrt18)^2, which means that the distance between m1 and m3 is 6m.
Then when I know that the distance between m1 and m3 is 6m, I also know that that is the base of the triangle that the fourth small mass fall in between. Since the problem says that the fourth mass falls straight down the middle, so I know that the whole top angle is 36.87 degrees, so one half of that is 18.435 degrees. Now we have a right triangle, so I can use tan to find the distance that the fourth mass falls by 3m/tan18.435 = 8.999973204m. (since the base of 6m, one half of that is 3m).
I found that, but now I'm not sure how to approach by finding the speed of the fourth mass when it reaches point B.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
to find the speed the easiest way would be to compare the gravitational potential of the original configuration to that when the small mass is at B...

Related to Newtonian Gravity involving spheres in a trigonal pyramid

1. How does Newtonian gravity apply to spheres in a trigonal pyramid?

Newtonian gravity is a theory that explains how objects with mass interact with each other through the force of gravity. This theory applies to spheres in a trigonal pyramid in the same way it applies to any other objects with mass, as long as they are within each other's gravitational field.

2. What is the trigonal pyramid and how does it relate to Newtonian gravity?

A trigonal pyramid is a geometric shape with a triangular base and three triangular faces that meet at a common point. In terms of Newtonian gravity, the trigonal pyramid represents a system of multiple spheres with varying masses that interact with each other through the force of gravity.

3. How does the mass and distance between spheres affect the gravitational force in a trigonal pyramid?

The mass of each sphere and the distance between them both play a role in determining the strength of the gravitational force between them. The larger the mass of the spheres, the stronger the gravitational force will be. Similarly, the closer the spheres are to each other, the stronger the gravitational force will be.

4. Can the trigonal pyramid be used to explain real-life gravitational systems?

Yes, the concept of a trigonal pyramid can be applied to real-life gravitational systems, such as planets orbiting a star or moons orbiting a planet. In these systems, the objects act as spheres and the gravitational force between them can be described using Newtonian gravity.

5. How does Newton's law of universal gravitation relate to spheres in a trigonal pyramid?

Newton's law of universal gravitation states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law applies to spheres in a trigonal pyramid as the gravitational force between them is determined by their masses and the distance between them.