Newtons Laws Question: Finding acceleration and direction of movement

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the acceleration and direction of movement for a 5.0 kg object with components of Fx=20N and Fy=30N. The suggestion is to use SOH-CAH-TOA to find the direction and apply Newton's second law in the x and y directions to find the acceleration.
acorn1290
1. The only force on a 5.0 kg object has components Fx= 20N and Fy= 30N

2. Find the acceleration of the object and its direction of movement.

3. I think I'm supposed to somehow use Soh Cah Toa inorder to find something (I don't know what this would help me find). I need to use Sin(theta)= Fx/m. But that would give me the angle measure and not the acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, since forces are vector quantities and the forces are acting in perpendicular directions, you can calculate the x and y components of the acceleration. After that it's merely an application of the pythagorean theorem.

For the direction, draw a free body diagram labeling the forces acting on the object and go from there. Hint: you'll need to use SOH-CAH-TOA to find the direction.

acorn1290 said:
1. The only force on a 5.0 kg object has components Fx= 20N and Fy= 30N

2. Find the acceleration of the object and its direction of movement.

3. I think I'm supposed to somehow use Soh Cah Toa inorder to find something (I don't know what this would help me find). I need to use Sin(theta)= Fx/m. But that would give me the angle measure and not the acceleration.
acorn1290, welcome to PF! Sin theta = Fx/m is not a correct equation, I'm not sure how you arrived at it. Are you familiar with Newton's second law? Try applying it in the x direction, and again, independently, in the y direction, and respond with your results.

Related to Newtons Laws Question: Finding acceleration and direction of movement

What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that describe how objects move and interact with one another. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century and are still widely used in modern physics.

What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

How do I find the acceleration of an object using Newton's Laws?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the acceleration can be calculated by dividing the net force by the mass of the object (a=F/m).

What is the direction of an object's movement according to Newton's Laws?

The direction of an object's movement is determined by the net force acting on the object. If there is no net force, the object will continue moving in the same direction at a constant velocity. If there is a net force, the object will accelerate in the direction of the force.

How do I apply Newton's Laws to real-life situations?

Newton's Laws can be applied to many real-life situations, such as understanding the motion of a car, the flight of a plane, or the behavior of a moving object. By understanding these laws, we can better predict and explain the behavior of objects in our everyday lives.