Node analysis problem: 2 Current Sources and 3 Resistors

Gunther_Guss
Homework Statement
Please, help me to find the value of V1, V2, I1 and I2.
Relevant Equations
i have my own answers but i need to confirm wether my answers are correct or not. Thanks.
-
Screenshot_20230924_102246_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gunther_Guss said:
i have my own answers but i need to confirm wether my answers are correct or not. Thanks.
On the homework forum, before we can help, you need to show your work and the answers you got.

renormalize said:
On the homework forum, before we can help, you need to show your work and the answers you got.
Alright, how about this ? is this correct ?
1695529449086832652457236195769.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to PF.

Gunther_Guss said:
Alright, how about this ? is this correct ?
In future posts, please type your work into the forum so that it is easier to read. I'll try to check your work later today unless somebody else beats me to it.

I will also send you a private message (PM) with some tips on how to use LaTeX to type math into PF. That is the best way to show your work. :smile:

Likes DeBangis21
Gunther_Guss said:
Alright, how about this ? is this correct ?View attachment 332471
Haven't checked the detailed working but the initial equations look correct and your final values satisfy the equations. So it looks good.

If you haven't already done so, remember you can (should!) check your working by seeing if the final values satisfy the original equations.

Likes DeBangis21, renormalize, FactChecker and 1 other person
Your answers are correct, but I didn't review your method.

If you continue to study EE, you will learn about the Norton and Thevenin source transformations which make this kind of problem really pretty simple. Below is a picture of my solution notes which don't require any equations beyond simple arithmetic. They aren't meant to be understandable, just an example of how practicing analog EEs would solve this (realtime unedited notes).

PXL_20230924_235110888~2[1].jpg

BTW, you'll need to get used to routinely verifying your own solutions at the end of each engineering problem you solve. That is part of the job. Out in the real world you will get fired if you constantly ask your boss to check your calculations, that's why he hired you, he has his own work to do. You will also get fired if your products don't work because you made mistakes you didn't correct. All of us make mistakes, it's not realistic to expect not to. But when you do make a mistake, you need to be the one that spots it and fixes it.

1. What is node analysis?

Node analysis is a method used to solve electrical circuits by analyzing the voltage and current at each individual node in the circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's current law, which states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node.

2. How do you apply node analysis to a circuit with 2 current sources and 3 resistors?

To apply node analysis to a circuit with 2 current sources and 3 resistors, you first need to identify all the nodes in the circuit and label them. Then, write out Kirchhoff's current law equations for each node, setting the sum of incoming currents equal to the sum of outgoing currents. Finally, solve the resulting system of equations to find the voltage at each node.

3. What is the difference between a current source and a voltage source in node analysis?

A current source is a component that maintains a constant current regardless of the voltage across it, while a voltage source maintains a constant voltage regardless of the current passing through it. In node analysis, current sources are treated as known values, while voltage sources require an additional equation to solve for their voltage.

4. Can you use node analysis to solve a circuit with more than 3 nodes?

Yes, node analysis can be used to solve circuits with any number of nodes. However, as the number of nodes increases, the system of equations becomes more complex and may require the use of computer software to solve.

5. What are the limitations of node analysis?

Node analysis is only applicable to circuits that can be represented as a series of nodes connected by resistors and current or voltage sources. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady-state condition, meaning that all voltages and currents have reached their steady-state values. Additionally, it may become more difficult to solve for the voltages at each node as the circuit becomes more complex with a higher number of nodes and components.