Non trivial series in Matematica

• Thread starter unih
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary: This is exactly what I was looking for. It works great and saves me time and effort. I really appreciate your help and expertise.
unih
Hi dear all
I have some functional in Mathematica that depends on the functions (for example u1(x,y,t) u2(x,y,t) and others) and its derivatives.
I want to expand this functional in series of ε.
Its perturbation theory as you understand, and I should take into account that not only functions but also
derivatives (by themselfes) are also have scale, i.e (in my example) u1~u2~∂x~∂y~ε, ∂t2 and I want to get smth up to ε2 (like for example u1(x,y)+u2(x,y)+u1(x,y)*u2(x,y)+∂xu1(x,y)+∂xu2(x,y)+∂yu1(x,y)+∂tf(x,y))
How to do it?
Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I know what is Series. They don't do what i need

Describe more precisely what you need.

Perhaps give a simple, but not too simple, example that shows exactly what the input should be and what the output should be and why.

Please be certain to show and explain what you mean by "get smth up to epsilon^2."

Last edited:
Thank you for your replay!
For example
u1(t,x,y)+u1(t,x,y)2+∂xu2(t,x,y)+∂tu1(t,x,y)+∂tu2(t,x,y)+u1(t,x,y)∂tu2(x,y,z)+∂tf(t,x,y)
now I take into account that u1~u1~∂x~∂y~ε , ∂t2 and alculate the orders of every part of expression

u1(t,x,y)~ε
u1(t,x,y)22 (=1+1)
xu2(t,x,y)~ε2 (=1+1)
tu1(t,x,y)~ε3 (=2+1)
tu2(t,x,y)~ε2 (=2+1)
u1(t,x,y)∂tu2(x,y,z)~ε4 (=1+2+1)
tf(t,x,y)~ε2 (=2+0)

Now I want this expression up to ε2, so I get
u1(t,x,y)+u1(t,x,y)2+∂xu2(t,x,y)+∂tf(t,x,y)+O(ε3)

Possibly something like

Subscript[u,1][t,x,y] + Subscript[u,1][t,x,y]^2 + ∂x Subscript[u,2][t,x,y] + ∂t Subscript[u,1][t,x,y] + ∂t Subscript[u,2][t,x,y] + Subscript[u,1][t,x,y] ∂t Subscript[u,2][x,y,z] + ∂t f[t,x,y] //. {∂t Subscript[u,1][t,x,y]->0, Subscript[u,1][t,x,y] ∂t Subscript[u,2][x,y,z]->0}

which, if I have not made any mistakes, replaces each of your higher order terms with zero which Mathematica then drops.

I don't know if this is what you really want or not. I don't know of any simple automated method that will do this for you. I believe this method is "brittle", which means that tiny changes in your input may make it fail for reasons that are very hard to understand. Perhaps someone with more skill than I can show you a better way of doing what you want.

I do understand that people see subscripts used widely in mathematical publications, they see that Mathematica has some ability to display subscripts and that some people have a compulsion to use subscripts in Mathematica that cannot be overcome, but again and again and again people find or create problems for themselves when trying to use subscripts. Plan for that.

Last edited:
Thank you. I did smth like that
The problem is not a subscript (in matematika code I don't use them, here they are just for beaty). the problem is that i want to do smth automatically and up to the order I want.

Just rescale all your variables by epsilon, then Taylor expand that. Here's a simple example:

Code:
In[18]:= f[x, y] /. a : (x | y) :> eps a
         % + O[eps]^2

Out[18]= f[eps x, eps y]

Out[19]= f[0,0]+(y (f^(0,1))[0,0]+x (f^(1,0))[0,0]) eps+O[eps]^2

This can be packaged into a function such as

Code:
EpsExpand[fn_, vars_List, ord_Integer] := Module[{eps},
  Normal[Series[fn /. a : (Alternatives @@ vars) :> eps a, {eps, 0, ord}]] /. eps -> 1]
EpsExpand[fn_, vars_, ord_Integer] := EpsExpand[fn, {vars}, ord]
then
Code:
In[25]:= EpsExpand[f[x, y], {x, y}, 2]

Out[25]= f[0,0]+y (f^(0,1))[0,0]+x (f^(1,0))[0,0]+1/2 (y^2 (f^(0,2))[0,0]+2 x y (f^(1,1))[0,0]+x^2 (f^(2,0))[0,0])

You should be able to generalize this to the case that interests you.

Thank you very much!

Related to Non trivial series in Matematica

1. What is a non-trivial series in mathematics?

A non-trivial series in mathematics is a sequence of numbers or terms that does not follow a simple pattern or formula. In other words, it is a series that cannot be easily generalized or predicted.

2. What are some examples of non-trivial series?

Some examples of non-trivial series include the Fibonacci sequence, the prime numbers, and the decimal expansion of pi. These series do not follow a simple pattern and their terms cannot be easily predicted.

3. How are non-trivial series useful in mathematics?

Non-trivial series are useful in mathematics because they can provide insights into complex problems and can lead to new mathematical discoveries. They also have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. What are some techniques for studying non-trivial series?

Some techniques for studying non-trivial series include using mathematical software, such as Wolfram Alpha, to generate terms and analyze patterns. Other techniques include using mathematical proofs and methods such as induction and recursion.

5. Are there any open problems or conjectures related to non-trivial series?

Yes, there are many open problems and conjectures related to non-trivial series. For example, the Collatz conjecture, which states that all starting numbers eventually reach 1 when following a specific sequence of operations, is still unsolved. There are also many open problems related to the prime numbers, such as the twin prime conjecture and the Goldbach conjecture.