Normalization constant for a 3-D wave function

In summary: But if I thought the order of integration was a bit complicated I might write it as in the OP. This is just a matter of preference, but I think it can be easier to read.
Valeria

Homework Statement

Show that the normalized wave function for a particle in a three-dimensional box with sides of length a, b, and c is:
Ψ(x,y,z) = √(8/abc) * sin(nxπx/a)* sin(nyπy/b)* sin(nzπz/c).

Homework Equations

Condition for the normalization:
0adx ∫0bdy ∫0cdz Ψ*(x,y,z)Ψ(x,y,z) = 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

From the 1-D case I know that I should arrive to this:
0adx ∫0bdy ∫0cdz Ψ*(x,y,z)Ψ(x,y,z) = 1 = (AxAyAz)20asin2(nxπx/a)dx ∫0bsin2(nyπy/b)dy ∫0csin2(nzπz/c)dz

However, I do not understand why Ψ*(x,y,z)Ψ(x,y,z) (unlike a 1-D case) is outside of the integrals. How exactly Ψ*(x,y,z)Ψ(x,y,z) is related to ∫0adx ∫0bdy ∫0cdz then? I do not understand how it is split between 3 integrals to give the formula above.

(I know how to proceed with the solution once I can arrive to this formula, so actually finding the normalization constant for me is not important.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Valeria said:

Homework Statement

Show that the normalized wave function for a particle in a three-dimensional box with sides of length a, b, and c is:
Ψ(x,y,z) = √(8/abc) * sin(nxπx/a)* sin(nyπy/b)* sin(nzπz/c).

Homework Equations

Condition for the normalization:
0adx ∫0bdy ∫0cdz Ψ*(x,y,z)Ψ(x,y,z) = 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

From the 1-D case I know that I should arrive to this:
0adx ∫0bdy ∫0cdz Ψ*(x,y,z)Ψ(x,y,z) = 1 = (AxAyAz)20asin2(nxπx/a)dx ∫0bsin2(nyπy/b)dy ∫0csin2(nzπz/c)dz

However, I do not understand why Ψ*(x,y,z)Ψ(x,y,z) (unlike a 1-D case) is outside of the integrals. How exactly Ψ*(x,y,z)Ψ(x,y,z) is related to ∫0adx ∫0bdy ∫0cdz then? I do not understand how it is split between 3 integrals to give the formula above.

(I know how to proceed with the solution once I can arrive to this formula, so actually finding the normalization constant for me is not important.)

In multiple integrals like this they sometime write all of the integration variables and limits on the left and the integrand on the right. This is not supposed to mean that the integrand is 'outside' of the integral or anything. It's just supposed to make it a little easier to read. I think you know exactly what to do. Just ignore that writing convention and put the integrand where you know it should be.

Likes Valeria
@Valeria There are two ways to write an integral, whether is has one variable or several

##\int f(x)dx##

Might be considered the normal mathematician's convention.

Or:

##\int dx f(x)##

which physicists may prefer.

They both mean the same. When it comes to multivariable integrals, I prefer the former. For example:

##\int \int \int f(x,y,z) dx dy dz##

Likes Valeria

Related to Normalization constant for a 3-D wave function

1. What is a normalization constant for a 3-D wave function?

A normalization constant for a 3-D wave function is a mathematical constant that is used to scale a wave function in order to ensure that the total probability of finding a particle within a given space is equal to 1. This is necessary in quantum mechanics to maintain the principle of conservation of probability.

2. How is the normalization constant calculated for a 3-D wave function?

The normalization constant is calculated by taking the integral of the square of the wave function over all possible values of the position coordinates. This integral is then set equal to 1 and solved for the normalization constant.

3. What is the importance of the normalization constant in quantum mechanics?

The normalization constant is crucial in quantum mechanics because it ensures that the total probability of finding a particle within a given space is equal to 1. This is necessary for the mathematical description of quantum systems and to maintain the principle of conservation of probability.

4. Can the normalization constant for a 3-D wave function have a value other than 1?

No, the normalization constant must have a value of 1 in order for the wave function to accurately describe the probability of finding a particle within a given space. If the normalization constant has a different value, it would indicate a violation of the principle of conservation of probability.

5. How does the normalization constant affect the shape of a 3-D wave function?

The normalization constant does not directly affect the shape of a 3-D wave function. Instead, it is used to scale the amplitude of the wave function, which can affect the probability of finding a particle in different regions of space. However, the overall shape of the wave function is determined by the specific mathematical form of the function.