Normalization of the Fourier transform

In summary: However, in mathematics, the convention is often reversed. In summary, the Fourier transform of a wave function is given by a specific equation, and N can be found by setting up an integral and using spherical coordinates to solve for it. The ranges for the angles may differ depending on the convention used.
doggydan42

Homework Statement

The Fourier transfrom of the wave function is given by
$$\Phi(p) = \frac{N}{(1+\frac{a_0^2p^2}{\hbar^2})^2}$$
where ##p:=|\vec{p}|## in 3 dimensions.
Find N, choosing N to be a positive real number.

Homework Equations

$$\int d^3\vec{p}|\Phi(p)|^2=1$$
, over all p in the 3 dimensions.

The Attempt at a Solution

First finding the complex conjugate,
$$\Phi^*(p) = \frac{N}{(1+\frac{a_0^2 p^2}{\hbar^2})^2}$$
So,
$$|\Phi(p)|^2 = \frac{N^2}{(1+\frac{a_0^2 p^2}{\hbar^2})^4}$$
So,
$$\frac{1}{N^2} = \int d^3 \vec{p}\frac{1}{(1+\frac{a_0^2 p^2}{\hbar^2})^4}$$

How would I change ##d^3\vec{p}## to be a triple integral, one of which is over dp?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By using spherical coordinates for ##\vec{p}## ...

eys_physics said:
By using spherical coordinates for ##\vec{p}## ...
I thought of using spherical coordinates for p, but would they be the same as for x.
So would it be that the integral, ignoring the function of integration, becomes?
$$\int d^3\vec{p}= \int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\infty}p^2sin(\phi)dpd\theta d\phi$$?

If the above is true, why can the same be written for p as was for x.

It doesn't matter if you have ##p## or ##x##. You can write write any three-dimensional vector ##\vec{a}## as
$$\vec{a}=a_x e_x + a_y e_y + a_z e_z$$,
where ##e_x##, ##e_y## and ##e_z## are the cartesian basis vectors.
You can then transform to spherical coordinates, i.e. instead writing ##\vec{a}## in terms of ##e_r##, ##e_\theta## and ##e_\phi## . It is not important what ##\vec{a}## represent.

In your formula it should be ##\sin\theta## instead of ##\sin\phi##.

eys_physics said:
It doesn't matter if you have ##p## or ##x##. You can write write any three-dimensional vector ##\vec{a}## as
$$\vec{a}=a_x e_x + a_y e_y + a_z e_z$$,
where ##e_x##, ##e_y## and ##e_z## are the cartesian basis vectors.
You can then transform to spherical coordinates, i.e. instead writing ##\vec{a}## in terms of ##e_r##, ##e_\theta## and ##e_\phi## . It is not important what ##\vec{a}## represent.

In your formula it should be ##\sin\theta## instead of ##\sin\phi##.
Why would you use ##sin(\theta)##?
Using ##sin(\theta)##,
$$\int_{0}^{2\pi}sin(\theta)d\theta = [-cos(\theta)]_0^{2\pi} = -1-(-1) = 0$$
Also, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html. ##sin(\phi)## is used where ##\phi## ranges from 0 to ##\pi##, which is what I have in my integral.

Yes, you are correct. I thought the range for ##\phi## was ##[0,2\pi]## and ##[0,\pi]## for ##\theta##.

eys_physics said:
Yes, you are correct. I thought the range for ##\phi## was ##[0,2\pi]## and ##[0,\pi]## for ##\theta##.
The OP is using the mathematics convention. Physicists typically use ##\theta## to be the polar angle and ##\phi## for the azimuthal angle.

Related to Normalization of the Fourier transform

1. What is the purpose of normalizing the Fourier transform?

The purpose of normalizing the Fourier transform is to make the values of the transform independent of the size of the input signal. This allows for easier comparison and analysis of signals with different magnitudes.

2. How is the Fourier transform normalized?

The Fourier transform is typically normalized by dividing the transform by the length of the input signal. This is known as the unitary normalization convention and is commonly used in most applications.

3. Are there different ways to normalize the Fourier transform?

Yes, there are different conventions for normalizing the Fourier transform. In addition to the unitary normalization convention, there is also the energy normalization convention which divides the transform by the square root of the input signal's length. This is often used in fields such as signal processing and communications.

4. What are the advantages of normalizing the Fourier transform?

Normalizing the Fourier transform allows for easier comparison and analysis of signals with different magnitudes. It also helps to prevent numerical errors and can improve the accuracy of the transform.

5. Are there any drawbacks to normalizing the Fourier transform?

One potential drawback of normalizing the Fourier transform is that it can distort the frequency spectrum of the signal. This can be mitigated by choosing the appropriate normalization convention for the specific application.