Norton's Equivalent - What do you do in this situation?

• Thread starter zanner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, the speaker is seeking help with finding the current through R2 in a circuit they are trying to solve. They mention using the current divider rule but are unsure how to apply it. The conversation also includes a tip to redraw schematics in order to gain a better understanding of the connections and potentially find a solution.
zanner
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
Hi,

So I have managed to get part of the way through solving a circuit that is being made into a Norton's equivalent circuit. But now I'm stuck on the Isc part. I know I have to use the current divider rule, but I'm not sure how to use it in this situation.

Here's a diagram:
JDKxBd6b9ppLRCqsJxT8ytJtKpeolXyRNvsjW_Z749xOBjZcTQS5F6bqQn8W1-6yHLckiMwGWoTK6pY-iws=w780-h585-no.png

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your equation for current through R2 in the circuit you have drawn?

⏩ Hint: it is always a good idea to redraw schematics while you mull over what approach to take; perhaps redraw multiple ways. Redrawing a circuit in a simpler/neater/alternative way engages the brain in considering different ways of viewing the connections, and often brings sudden insight.

Related to Norton's Equivalent - What do you do in this situation?

1. What is Norton's equivalent circuit?

Norton's equivalent circuit is a theoretical circuit that represents a linear circuit with a current source in parallel with a resistance. It is used to simplify complex circuits and make calculations easier.

2. When do you use Norton's equivalent circuit?

Norton's equivalent circuit is used when we need to simplify a complex linear circuit with multiple components into a single current source and resistance. This is particularly useful when performing calculations or analysis on the circuit.

3. How do you find Norton's equivalent resistance?

To find Norton's equivalent resistance, we need to first short-circuit the voltage source and open-circuit all current sources in the original circuit. Then, we calculate the total resistance between the two terminals where the current source was connected. This value is the equivalent resistance for Norton's circuit.

4. Can Norton's equivalent circuit be used for non-linear circuits?

No, Norton's equivalent circuit can only be used for linear circuits. Non-linear circuits have components that do not follow Ohm's law, so they cannot be simplified into a single current source and resistance.

5. How is Norton's equivalent circuit different from Thevenin's equivalent circuit?

Norton's equivalent circuit is based on a current source in parallel with a resistance, while Thevenin's equivalent circuit is based on a voltage source in series with a resistance. Both circuits are used to simplify complex circuits, but the calculations and applications may differ depending on the situation.