Nuclear Engineering - PhD or leave with MS

In summary, the individual in this conversation has just completed their first year in a Nuclear Engineering PhD program and is considering pursuing a career in reactor materials research. They are questioning their PhD and considering a masters, but are unsure about the career opportunities and whether a PhD is necessary. They have personal issues with their advisor and are concerned about the length of time it will take to complete the degree. They are also interested in working internationally and are seeking advice on whether to pursue a PhD, masters in NE, or masters in NE and MSE. The general consensus is that a PhD would be the smarter option for research positions, and having a diverse background in different areas of engineering is recommended. The individual is considering contacting companies to inquire about their hiring criteria.
acusick
I have just finished my first year in a Nuclear Engineering PhD program at a top ranked university. My undergrad was also in NE. I am studying nuclear materials, as in fuel cladding and core structural materials, and I plan on starting a career in the subject. I am now questioning my PhD and considering a masters (or possibly 2).

Wants: I would like to do reactor materials research, or lead a research team. I would like to spend time out of the lab on a day to day basis though, possibly consulting and sharing technologies with other groups. I love research and the idea of technology development but don't necessarily want to run the actual experiments myself...

Problems: I am having personal differences with my PhD adviser, I do not want to pursue academia or government work, and I am feeling like this degree is going to take forever (4 more years).

Options: I could deal with my adviser and get the PhD, I could leave after this coming fall semester with a masters in NE, or I could get a masters in NE and stay for 1 more semester and get an additional masters in Materials Science (I'd stay both semesters next academic year).

My questions to you all: Are the kinds of positions I am describing available? Do my career interests really even warrant a PhD? I am thinking twice now. Would I have the same opportunities with the two masters, for what I want to do? Maybe better opportunities? If I really wanted to become part of a leading edge reactor materials group would I need a PhD in general or would there be opportunities with master(s) degrees? Do people with masters degrees have real research opportunities as well as those with PhDs? Is overqualifying one's self a threat in this field?

I'd like to have the highest probability of finding a good job. I'd also like to set myself up for possibly working internationally. So basically, should I get a PhD, masters in NE, or masters in NE and MSE?

Thanks for any input!

Physics news on Phys.org
270 views and no thoughts?

(Know that I am not experienced in this field, and am just stating what I have generally seen from those more qualified to respond to this than I).

If you want to do research, then you'll need a PhD. My guess is that the odds of not only being able to do research, but to lead a research team would be far higher if you got a PhD.

Besides, it's common knowledge that graduate programs blow. I can't imagine that it would be fun, but don't give up on something because you don't like your advisor, or because you want to get out of there in one or two years as opposed to four.

________

Anyways, wait for somebody with some actual experience to respond. All of that is what I have picked up from reading around here, but I think the general consensus will be that following through and getting the PhD would be the smarter option of the two.

acusick said:
I have just finished my first year in a Nuclear Engineering PhD program at a top ranked university. My undergrad was also in NE. I am studying nuclear materials, as in fuel cladding and core structural materials, and I plan on starting a career in the subject. I am now questioning my PhD and considering a masters (or possibly 2).

Wants: I would like to do reactor materials research, or lead a research team. I would like to spend time out of the lab on a day to day basis though, possibly consulting and sharing technologies with other groups. I love research and the idea of technology development but don't necessarily want to run the actual experiments myself...

Problems: I am having personal differences with my PhD adviser, I do not want to pursue academia or government work, and I am feeling like this degree is going to take forever (4 more years).

Options: I could deal with my adviser and get the PhD, I could leave after this coming fall semester with a masters in NE, or I could get a masters in NE and stay for 1 more semester and get an additional masters in Materials Science (I'd stay both semesters next academic year).

My questions to you all: Are the kinds of positions I am describing available? Do my career interests really even warrant a PhD? I am thinking twice now. Would I have the same opportunities with the two masters, for what I want to do? Maybe better opportunities? If I really wanted to become part of a leading edge reactor materials group would I need a PhD in general or would there be opportunities with master(s) degrees? Do people with masters degrees have real research opportunities as well as those with PhDs? Is overqualifying one's self a threat in this field?

I'd like to have the highest probability of finding a good job. I'd also like to set myself up for possibly working internationally. So basically, should I get a PhD, masters in NE, or masters in NE and MSE?
If one has started a PhD program, then perhaps see it through. Four years seems a bit long though, unless one is doing some long term experiments.

Having a MS is sufficient to get a good research job, especially if it is in an area in demand.

Leading edge in reactor materials would be a position within Toshiba/Westinghouse or AREVA in the US, or European affiliate, or GEH. Working for a foreign corporation would be difficult since they tend to hire from within the nation.

MS or PhD graduates do have real research opportunities.

I recommend that engineers try to be diverse in materials, thermal hydraulics, mechanics of materials, and possibly neutronics.

Thanks for the responses. Perhaps I should contact these companies and ask them what they look for for these positions.

Is it true for this field, that those with a PhD might be considered "overqualified" for one of these positions? Will opportunities in the nuclear materials sects of companies be markedly different for PhDs compared to MS degrees?

acusick said:
Thanks for the responses. Perhaps I should contact these companies and ask them what they look for for these positions.

Is it true for this field, that those with a PhD might be considered "overqualified" for one of these positions? Will opportunities in the nuclear materials sects of companies be markedly different for PhDs compared to MS degrees?
PhDs can be overspecialized but not overqualified. It's best to be diversified in areas outside of one's specialty.

A PhD involves original research as compared to guided research for others. It usually implies a deeper understanding of the subject(s). If one has an opportunity to obtain a PhD then do so. If one can do a MS in parallel, in a different area, that would be good too.

Related to Nuclear Engineering - PhD or leave with MS

What is nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering is a field of study and research that focuses on the application of nuclear reactions for various purposes, such as energy production, medical treatments, and military applications. It involves the study of nuclear physics, materials science, and engineering principles to design and develop new technologies.

What is the difference between a PhD and MS in nuclear engineering?

A PhD in nuclear engineering is a research-oriented degree that requires students to conduct original research and make a significant contribution to the field. On the other hand, an MS in nuclear engineering is a more coursework-based degree that focuses on developing practical skills and understanding of the field. PhD holders typically have more opportunities for advanced research and leadership roles, while MS holders often work in industry or pursue further education.

Why should I consider pursuing a PhD in nuclear engineering?

A PhD in nuclear engineering can open up many career opportunities in research, academia, and industry. It also allows you to specialize in a specific area of nuclear engineering and contribute to the advancement of the field. Additionally, a PhD can lead to higher earning potential and job security in the long run.

What skills are required for a successful career in nuclear engineering?

Some essential skills for a career in nuclear engineering include a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. In addition, strong communication skills and a passion for the field are also important for success in this field.

Is a PhD in nuclear engineering worth the time and effort?

Pursuing a PhD in nuclear engineering requires a significant time commitment and dedication. However, for those passionate about the field, the pursuit of new knowledge and the potential for career advancement may make it worth the effort. It is important to carefully consider your goals and interests before deciding to pursue a PhD in nuclear engineering.