Nuclear engineering, physics, or other. does it matter?

In summary: Aerospace, Robotics, Manufacturing, etc). So I think it's a great choice.I will be studying "Engineering Physics" !I love physics and have excelled knowledge about physics and read everything about it.However, I first wanted to go for Mechanical engineering, but the more I search on internet, it seems everyone wants physics.My question is: Is engineering Physics good ? Do companies (Industry) like Engineering Physics graduates ?If you want to work in an area with physics, you have to have a Ph.D. However, Engineering Physics is a really good degree to have, I had a professor that studied engineering physics a long time ago and actually did a PhD in physics
agent_509
I've read some other threads and some other information on this, but I'm still not entirely clear on the answer. I've been accepted into UT Austin into the school of natural sciences as a physics major, but of course I have the option to change majors later. The problem is is that I'm just not sure what I'm most interested in yet. I love theoretical physics, and I love the idea of research, but I also like engineering. I also love the idea of working with studying nuclear fusion, and working in nuclear engineering and/or research.

I'm hoping what exactly I want to do will become more clear in the mean time. So my first and simplest question is: Does it become easier to tell what you're most interested in as you begin and progress in your studies?

Also my next question is, by the time I can tell what I'm most interested in and want to do, will it be too late? From what I've read majoring in physics seems to give you quite a few options, perhaps in moving on to a graduate program to do something more engineering based, or research based whatever I'm interested in come graduation time. Is this accurate? If I'm this unsure about what I want to do would a physics major be my best option?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert but one of my profs got a bachelors in physical chemistry (chemical physics) then got an MS and PhD in nuclear engineering. He spent a good 20 years in industry so this is not just some academic.

That seems to be what I've heard is that people with physics majors can turn around and become engineers, but not so much the other way around.

I talked with the head of admissions for graduate Nuclear Engineering at TAMU and she told me roughly half of the students that they take in are from a physics background and not Engineering. She also said that they do very well, they only struggle with the first class since they might not have/ be used to some engineering fundamentals, but again they do very well. It is a good training and I've been told that NE is mostly about thermal physics/thermodynamics which is big engineering, but a physics perspective is definitely a must... Its all about the physics

Well that makes it sound like physics major is definitely for me thanks!

Maybe! I think you should talk to people in both departments (professors etc.) and see if one or the other would be your cup of tea, I am a physics major, but I am not really an authority over NE, I just spoke to someone deeply in that area. They do have there differences, and you might be better cut out as an engineer in the end or a physicist. If I were you I would take as many classes in both areas as I could to help me figure it out.

Yeah I plan on taking some classes in nuclear engineering (The option I'm choosing for my major is radiation physics) But i'll definitely talk to some people from both departments. Thanks for the help!

Good, sounds like you'll do well. Best of luck

thanks!

Interesting feed back !

I will be studying "Engineering Physics" !
I love physics and have excelled knowledge about physics and read everything about it.

However, I first wanted to go for Mechanical engineering, but the more I search on internet, it seems everyone wants physics.

My question is: Is engineering Physics good ? Do companies (Industry) like Engineering Physics graduates ?

I plan to do masters in (Nanotechnology, mechanical, nuclear, aeronautical ..etc). Is this possible after engineering physics ?

engboysclub said:
Interesting feed back !

I will be studying "Engineering Physics" !
I love physics and have excelled knowledge about physics and read everything about it.

However, I first wanted to go for Mechanical engineering, but the more I search on internet, it seems everyone wants physics.

My question is: Is engineering Physics good ? Do companies (Industry) like Engineering Physics graduates ?

I plan to do masters in (Nanotechnology, mechanical, nuclear, aeronautical ..etc). Is this possible after engineering physics ?

Hmm, first, what region do you live in, some regions are more physics friendly than others. In the US, mostly academia and national labs like physics graduates. But if you want to work in an area with physics, you have to have a Ph.D. However, Engineering Physics is a really good degree to have, I had a professor that studied engineering physics a long time ago and actually did a PhD in physics, so he is an experimental physicist now.

But, I don't know if you know this but Mechanical engineering can be heavily research oriented as well. I highly recommend it as an awesome all around degree because there are lots of areas of application (i.e. jobs and money), lots of research opportunities (work and excitement), and it is a broad area that often leads you into many other positions.

But to really answer your question, there are not that many engineering physics programs so I don't know too much about it, but if you love physics it would be an excellent degree and I really recommend it. Also, try double majoring in physics and that.

Related to Nuclear engineering, physics, or other. does it matter?

1. What is nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the application of nuclear reactions to generate energy and solve various problems. It involves the design, development, and operation of nuclear power plants, as well as the use of nuclear materials in various industries such as medicine and agriculture.

2. What are the key principles of nuclear physics?

The key principles of nuclear physics include the understanding of the structure of atoms, the behavior of subatomic particles, and the processes involved in nuclear reactions. These principles are used to explain the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic levels, as well as the production and release of energy in nuclear reactions.

3. How does nuclear engineering affect our daily lives?

Nuclear engineering has a significant impact on our daily lives, as it provides a large portion of the world's electricity through nuclear power plants. It also contributes to the development of medical treatments, such as radiation therapy for cancer, and the production of radioactive isotopes used in medical imaging. Additionally, nuclear engineering plays a crucial role in national security and defense through the development of nuclear weapons and nuclear propulsion for submarines and spacecraft.

4. What are the potential risks and benefits of nuclear energy?

Nuclear energy has both potential risks and benefits. The main benefit is that it is a reliable and efficient source of electricity that produces minimal greenhouse gas emissions. However, the risks include the potential for accidents, such as the Chernobyl and Fukushima disasters, and the long-term storage of radioactive waste. Proper safety measures and regulations are necessary to minimize these risks and ensure the safe use of nuclear energy.

5. How does nuclear engineering differ from other forms of energy production?

Nuclear engineering differs from other forms of energy production, such as fossil fuels and renewable energy sources, in the way it generates electricity. Instead of burning fuel, nuclear power plants use nuclear reactions to heat water and produce steam, which then drives turbines to generate electricity. This method does not produce greenhouse gas emissions, but it does produce radioactive waste that must be properly managed and stored.