Nuclear Reactor Simple 1D Method of Characteristics Solver

In summary, a person is seeking help with their Method of Characteristics solver in Matlab and is hoping to get insight from someone with experience in computational nuclear engineering. They are struggling with their criticality calculation, which is off by a factor of 10, despite getting the correct neutron flux profile. The person is open to sharing their code for assistance.
ChasingNeutrons

Homework Statement

Hi all, attempting to make a Method of Characteristics solver in Matlab. I'm particularly hoping that there are some computational nuclear engineering guys about who might have a bit of experience programming a simple version of one of these.

I'm trying to create the solver to find the scalar neutron flux and criticality in a one-group, homogeneous, multiplying with slab subject to vacuum boundary conditions but, infuriatingly, while I can attain a neutron flux profile which is correct (verifying with other codes) my criticality is off by a factor of 10! I was hoping that someone may be able to provide a bit of insight into what I'm doing incorrectly - it may be a long shot but it's a problem I've been suffering with for far too long. If anyone would care to have a look at the code as it stands then do let me know!

Homework Equations

For the method of characteristics, the fundamental equations that I'm iterating around in my solver are quite standard. I won't include them here as I would rather just share my code if you are familiar with the general problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

For my problem, I'm examining a geometry of length 100cm with a Σtr of 0.2758/cm, νΣf of 0.0366/cm and Σa of 0.0253/cm. As I say, I can get the correct normalised neutron flux profile across the slab but sadly k is approximately a factor of 10 smaller than the keff value of about 1.3876 that I am expecting. It is interesting to note that for perfectly reflective boundary conditions I attain a k which is equal to νΣftr. As I say, feel free to ask for the code if you think you might be of any help - if you can identify the problem I'll owe you my dissertation!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I am a computational nuclear engineer and I have experience with creating Method of Characteristics solvers in Matlab. I would be happy to take a look at your code and offer some insight into what may be causing the issue with your criticality calculation.

One potential problem could be with your boundary conditions. Have you checked to make sure they are correctly implemented in your code? Another possibility could be an error in your equations or a mistake in your input parameters.

I would suggest going through your code step by step and checking for any potential errors or inconsistencies. You can also try using different input parameters to see if the criticality calculation changes. If you are still having trouble, please feel free to share your code and I will take a look at it.

Best of luck with your project!

Related to Nuclear Reactor Simple 1D Method of Characteristics Solver

1. What is a "Nuclear Reactor Simple 1D Method of Characteristics Solver"?

A "Nuclear Reactor Simple 1D Method of Characteristics Solver" is a computer program that uses the method of characteristics to solve for the neutron flux distribution in a one-dimensional nuclear reactor. This program is commonly used in reactor physics and nuclear engineering to model and analyze the behavior of nuclear reactors.

2. How does the Method of Characteristics work in a nuclear reactor?

The Method of Characteristics is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations, such as the neutron diffusion equation in a nuclear reactor. It involves dividing the reactor into smaller regions and tracing the path of individual neutrons as they move through the reactor. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the neutron flux distribution and other important reactor parameters.

3. What are the advantages of using a "Nuclear Reactor Simple 1D Method of Characteristics Solver"?

One of the main advantages of using a "Nuclear Reactor Simple 1D Method of Characteristics Solver" is its ability to model complex reactor geometries and fuel configurations. It also allows for a more detailed analysis of the neutron flux distribution, which is crucial for determining the behavior and performance of a nuclear reactor. Additionally, this program is often faster and more efficient than other methods of solving the neutron diffusion equation.

4. Is the "Nuclear Reactor Simple 1D Method of Characteristics Solver" accurate?

Yes, the "Nuclear Reactor Simple 1D Method of Characteristics Solver" is a highly accurate program for modeling and analyzing nuclear reactors. However, its accuracy is highly dependent on the input data and assumptions used in the calculations. Therefore, it is important for the user to carefully review and validate the input parameters to ensure accurate results.

5. Who uses the "Nuclear Reactor Simple 1D Method of Characteristics Solver"?

The "Nuclear Reactor Simple 1D Method of Characteristics Solver" is primarily used by nuclear engineers, reactor physicists, and researchers in the field of nuclear energy. It is also commonly used in academic settings for teaching and research purposes. Additionally, this program may be used by regulatory agencies to verify the safety and performance of nuclear reactors.