On the topic of neutrinos' masses

In summary, the conversation discussed a statement found in a book preview on Amazon regarding the mass of neutrinos and their relationship to quaternions. The statement was deemed inaccurate and nonsensical by the participants. They also expressed skepticism about the author, Dennis Morris, based on the questionable quality of his self-published books.
Mikaelochi
Although I do not have the technical qualifications to understand to mathematics of quantum field theory, I happened to come across a preview of a book called The Electron by Dennis Morris on Amazon. While reading the preview I came across this sentence: "The solution of the neutrino mass problem is that neutrinos are massless but the squared neutrino field is massive ---- quaternions can be like this." Neutrinos as I understand them actually have mass, so is this statement accurate? Also, if the answer can only be expressed clearly, mathematically, then feel free to do so. Lastly, I hope this is the appropriate place to submit this. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mikaelochi said:
Neutrinos as I understand them actually have mass, so is this statement accurate?
No, it is not.

Likes Mikaelochi
And to extend that answer: the statement does not make sense at all.

"Apples do not have mass but the squared apple flavor has one hour - like cars"

Likes Mikaelochi, ShayanJ and vanhees71
This is exactly what I expected. I figured it was nonsense but I had to make sure. Thanks!

One more thing: do any of you know who Dennis Morris is? I can't seem to find out who this person is. Not sure about you, but this kind of fishy.

Never heard of him, based on some Amazon book descriptions he looks like a crackpot.
The descriptions of the books are often nonsense, the books are all self-published and they are not sold in any relevant number. And then there is this great customer review:
I have been studying Lie groups for many (35 ) years. I expected some useful ideas form the book .Unfortunately it is mostly nonsense with
some pretentious observations , strange notation and total confusion between mathematics physics and his persona ideas. I cannot recommend
the book at all

Related to On the topic of neutrinos' masses

1. What are neutrinos and why are their masses important?

Neutrinos are subatomic particles that have little to no mass and no electric charge. Their masses are important because they can help us understand the structure of the universe and the fundamental nature of matter.

2. How do scientists determine the masses of neutrinos?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the masses of neutrinos, including studying their interactions with other particles and examining their behavior in different environments. The most accurate method to date is through experiments that measure the effects of neutrino oscillations.

3. Are all neutrinos the same mass?

No, there are three types of neutrinos (electron, muon, and tau) and they are believed to have slightly different masses. However, the exact values of their masses are still not fully understood and are an active area of research in the scientific community.

4. How do the masses of neutrinos affect the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model of particle physics is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. The discovery that neutrinos have mass has challenged this model and has led to the development of new theories and models to explain their masses and interactions.

5. What are the potential implications of discovering the exact masses of neutrinos?

Discovering the exact masses of neutrinos could provide valuable insights into the universe's evolution and the laws of physics. It could also have practical applications, such as improving our understanding of nuclear reactions and potentially leading to new technologies in energy production.