One sided limit with two answers?

• Thread starter Woolyabyss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the function has a two sided limit at x=2 and 5, but it does not have a limit at x=3. If you take the limit when x approaches 3, the result would be y=3. If you take the limit when x approaches 2, the result would be y=1.
Woolyabyss
Say we have a function that is defined as y=3 except at x=2 and 5 where there are two vertical asymptotes.
would this function have a two sided limit? what if I were to take the limit when x approaches 3? would that be y=3?. what about one sided limits? If I were to take the positive limit as x approaches 2 would it just skip x = 5?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a well defined function (or at least not a clearly stated function). If ##f(x)=3## for ##x\neq2## and ##x\neq5##, there cannot be vertical asymptotes at 2 and 5. But I think your question may not rely on asymptotes, but rather just values other than 3(?). How about

##f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{ccc}
3&\mbox{for }&x\neq2,x\neq5\\
10&\mbox{for }&x=2\\
12&\mbox{for }&x=5\end{array}\right.##

The definition of a limit should make it clear that ##\lim_{x\rightarrow c}f(x)=3## for all ##c##. In the ##\epsilon##-##\delta## definition, ##0<|x-c|<\delta## so that the value of ##f(c)## never matters (it doesn't even have to be defined). This is also true for the left and right hand limits.

Now, if you meant that the function is 3, but suddenly grows "to infinity" when near 2 or 5, then the limit wouldn't exist at 2 or 5, but neither limit depends on the other. The behavior of ##f(x)## near ##x=5## does not effect ##\lim_{x\rightarrow2}f(x)##.

I think you should reread the section of your text (or rewatch a video or whatever) on limits since you seem to have a number of common misconceptions.

DrewD said:
This is not a well defined function (or at least not a clearly stated function). If ##f(x)=3## for ##x\neq2## and ##x\neq5##, there cannot be vertical asymptotes at 2 and 5. But I think your question may not rely on asymptotes, but rather just values other than 3(?). How about

##f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{ccc}
3&\mbox{for }&x\neq2,x\neq5\\
10&\mbox{for }&x=2\\
12&\mbox{for }&x=5\end{array}\right.##

The definition of a limit should make it clear that ##\lim_{x\rightarrow c}f(x)=3## for all ##c##. In the ##\epsilon##-##\delta## definition, ##0<|x-c|<\delta## so that the value of ##f(c)## never matters (it doesn't even have to be defined). This is also true for the left and right hand limits.

Now, if you meant that the function is 3, but suddenly grows "to infinity" when near 2 or 5, then the limit wouldn't exist at 2 or 5, but neither limit depends on the other. The behavior of ##f(x)## near ##x=5## does not effect ##\lim_{x\rightarrow2}f(x)##.

I think you should reread the section of your text (or rewatch a video or whatever) on limits since you seem to have a number of common misconceptions.

I thought at x approaches 2 from the left hand side there wouldn't be a limit because it never reaches 2 also the value f(x) remains 3 as it approaches so there would be no limit?

Woolyabyss said:
I thought at x approaches 2 from the left hand side there wouldn't be a limit because it never reaches 2 also the value f(x) remains 3 as it approaches so there would be no limit?

The value of ##f(c)## in the evaluation of ##\lim_{x\rightarrow c}f(x)## is never important. It doesn't even need to be defined. All that matters is the behaviour of the function around ##x=c##. In this case, if ##f(x)=3## at all points around ##x=2##, then the limit must be ##3## because, for all ##x## near but not equal to ##x=2## (on the left if you are interested in the lefthand limit), the function is equal to ##3##.

If your text doesn't make this clear, check out Paul's Online Math Notes I think this is one of many excellent free online resources. Also, Fundamentals of Calculus is another excellent source.

Related to One sided limit with two answers?

1. What is a one sided limit with two answers?

A one sided limit with two answers is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific value from one side (left or right) but has two possible outcomes. This means that the limit exists, but the value of the function may be different depending on the direction of approach.

2. How is a one sided limit with two answers different from a regular limit?

A regular limit only has one possible value for the function as it approaches a specific value, while a one sided limit with two answers has two possible values depending on the direction of approach. This means that the function may not be continuous at that specific value.

3. What causes a one sided limit with two answers?

A one sided limit with two answers occurs when the function has a discontinuity, such as a jump or a hole, at the specific value being approached. This means that the function is not defined at that point, resulting in two possible values for the limit.

4. How do you determine the two answers for a one sided limit?

To determine the two answers for a one sided limit, you need to evaluate the function from both the left and right side of the specific value being approached. This means plugging in values slightly smaller and larger than the specific value and seeing what the function approaches. The two different results will be the two possible answers for the limit.

5. Can a one sided limit with two answers exist at a point where the function is continuous?

No, a one sided limit with two answers can only exist at a point where the function is discontinuous. If the function is continuous at that point, then the limit from both the left and right side will be the same, resulting in only one answer.