Opinions on this Pure Math/Finance Program

In summary, the conversation is discussing a "Pure Math/Finance" program that combines mathematics and finance studies. The program may have good employment prospects as there is a demand for individuals with a strong background in real analysis and differential equations to work on financial derivatives. The program also involves working on improving and solving the Black-Scholes option pricing model, as well as developing asset allocation models. However, the reliability of this information may be uncertain due to the speaker's limited knowledge on the topic.
JeffN
Opinions on this "Pure Math/Finance" Program

I know that most people on these boards are more familiar with physics and engineering-type programs, but who knows...

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/PM_Dept/Undergrad/Academic/Plans/pm_finance.shtml"

Does this program seem like one that'll have good employment prospects? How in-demand are "people with a strong real analysis background and a good knowledge of differential equations to work on financial derivatives" in the finance sector?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a real demand, but I couldn't really tell you how big it is. The Black-Scholes option pricing model is a PDE, and I understand that the name of the game is improving the basic model and then solving it numerically. I know they also hire people to work on asset allocation models.

My knowledge here is quite old, so if anybody else responds, listen to them instead :smile:

I cannot give a personal opinion on this program as I am not familiar with it and do not have enough information to form an opinion. However, based on the description provided, it seems like a unique and specialized program that combines the mathematical rigor of pure math with the practical application in finance. This could potentially make graduates of this program highly sought after in the finance sector, as they would possess a strong understanding of both fields.

In terms of employment prospects, it would depend on the current demand for individuals with this specific skill set in the finance industry. It is difficult to predict the future job market, but having a strong background in pure math and finance could potentially open up opportunities in various industries beyond just finance. It also may be beneficial for students to gain experience through internships or research projects related to financial derivatives to further enhance their employability. Overall, I would say that this program could provide a solid foundation for a career in finance, but it is important for students to stay updated on industry trends and adapt their skills accordingly.

Related to Opinions on this Pure Math/Finance Program

1. What is the difference between pure math and finance?

Pure math is a branch of mathematics that deals with abstract concepts and theories, while finance is the study of how individuals, businesses, and governments manage and use money. Pure math is more concerned with developing and proving theories, while finance applies mathematical principles to real-world financial problems.

2. What skills are required for a pure math/finance program?

In a pure math/finance program, students will need to have strong mathematical skills, critical thinking abilities, and a solid understanding of financial concepts. They should also have excellent analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills.

3. What career opportunities are available with a pure math/finance degree?

A pure math/finance degree can open up a wide range of career opportunities. Graduates can work in fields such as banking, investment management, risk analysis, financial planning, actuarial science, and more. They may also pursue further education in graduate programs in mathematics, economics, or finance.

4. Is a pure math/finance program more challenging than other programs?

It depends on the individual and their strengths and interests. A pure math/finance program can be challenging for those who struggle with mathematics, but it can also be rewarding for those who enjoy working with numbers and solving complex problems.

5. How can I prepare for a pure math/finance program?

To prepare for a pure math/finance program, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, algebra, and statistics. Familiarizing yourself with financial concepts and staying updated on current events in the financial world can also be beneficial. Additionally, honing your critical thinking and problem-solving skills can help you succeed in this program.