Optics and waves, mirage. University physics

In summary, the trajectory of a ray of light just grazing the ground at x = xg is given by y(x) = -1/α + A/n0α*cosh[(n0α/A) * (x − x0) ]
YogiBear
Mirage: we consider the x-y plane describing vertical y and horizontal x directions, with an inhomogeneous index of refraction n(y). In this case, using calculus of variations, Fermat’s principle for the trajectory of a ray of light may be re-written as n(y)/√1+(dy/dx)^2 = A. Where A is a real constant, to be determined by boundary conditions. We consider the index of refraction to be n(y) = n0(1 + αy) where n0 and α are real parameters.

Show that the trajectory y(x) of a ray of light is given by
y = − 1/α + A/n0α*cosh [ (n0α/A) * (x − x0) ]

Limits for integration are not given.

What i have done so far: Well i separated variables and then used f(x) = cosh^-1(x) f'(x) = 1/(x^2 -a^2)^1/2 to get pretty close to the solution. However i don't see where n0α/A comes from within the cosh bracket. Also I used x and x0, y and 0, as limits for integration. Huge thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Yogibear, I got

y(x) = [exp(-abk - abx)+exp(abk +abx) - 2 b]/2ab

where and b are functions of one or more α, A and/or n0, and k is the constant of integration. I have to adhere to the rules of this forum and not give the explicit functions. If you want more help you'll have to show us more math detail. E.g. what is f(x) and how did you get it?

Note that you can substitute k' = ek. Looks like you might get a cosh term out of that ...

Last edited:
rude man said:
Hi Yogibear, I got

y(x) = [exp(-abk - abx)+exp(abk +abx) - 2 b]/2ab

where and b are functions of one or more α, A and/or n0, and k is the constant of integration. I have to adhere to the rules of this forum and not give the explicit functions. If you want more help you'll have to show us more math detail. E.g. what is f(x) and how did you get it?

Note that you can substitute k' = ek. Looks like you might get a cosh term out of that ...

Thanks, I was actually able to solve that part using t = n(y)/A substitution.
However now i have to do the following: "Determine the trajectory y(x) of a ray of light that just grazes the ground at x = xg as shown in the figure (i.e. determine expressions for A and x0 for this ray). Figure, in this case is just a generic x/y plane with y=x^2 graph on it touching x-axis at xg. I have no idea where to start. :/

Related to Optics and waves, mirage. University physics

1. What is the difference between reflection and refraction?

Reflection is the bouncing back of light when it hits a surface, while refraction is the bending of light when it passes through a medium with a different density.

2. How does a mirage occur?

A mirage is an optical illusion that occurs when light rays are bent due to differences in air temperature and density. This creates a false image that appears to be a reflection of distant objects.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength in waves?

The frequency of a wave is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases and vice versa.

4. What are some common applications of optics and waves in everyday life?

Optics and waves have numerous applications in everyday life, such as in the design of eyeglasses, cameras, and telescopes. They are also used in telecommunications, medical imaging, and laser technology.

5. How does the human eye perceive different colors of light?

The human eye contains specialized cells called cones that are sensitive to different wavelengths of light. These cones send signals to the brain, which then interprets the information as different colors.