Optimization of Core Loading Patterns

In summary, the conversation discusses the best method for core loading pattern optimization and the use of various codes such as ROSA and NEXUSANC9. It also mentions the importance of accurate burnup calculation and the limitations of automated optimization methods compared to experienced designers. The implementation of these methods and the use of neutronics models, specifically in ROSA, is also discussed. There is a mention of a side project called "poropy" for LP problems and the speed of core calculation in ROSA.
libertad
Hi There,
What's the best core loading pattern optimization method?
I believe this is very depended to experts knowledge, I mean the methods such as Genetic Algorithm or Neural Network or Ant Colony are not so useful for such these optimization.
Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Each vendor has a loading pattern optimization code, and it does come from a designers experience. No unit ever develops an optimized equilibrium cycle, but some come close. The actual design depends on the operations of a given cycle, whether it runs long or short, and has an excess or deficiency in reactivity.

A Dutch company, NRG, is an independent company (not a fuel supplier). They have a LP-optimization code, ROSA. Here are some papers:

http://www.nrg.eu/docs/ppt/rosa/rosatop.pdf

http://www.nrg.eu/docs/ppt/rosa/rosanfm3.pdf

http://www.nrg.eu/docs/ppt/rosa/rosatopfuel05.pdf

Here is a brochure for the Westinghouse system
http://www.westinghousenuclear.com/Products_&_Services/docs/NEXUSANC9Brochure.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanka Astronuc,
I know about Rosa code. I believe the most important part in core pattern optimization is an accurate burnup calculation.
With the accurate burnup calculation now this is the in-core fuel management expert who shoud compare the different criteria for some patterns to choose the best one.
the criteria for BOC and then criteria for during the cycle I mean from BOC to EOC.
What's your idea?

At Ohio State University, a PhD student did her thesis by optimizing the research reactor more that it had been, so there's always room for improvement.

daveb said:
At Ohio State University, a PhD student did her thesis by optimizing the research reactor more that it had been, so there's always room for improvement.

How can I reach to her study?

This is a slightly old post, but I'll comment anyway.

As for automated optimization methods, there is a plethora of recent work on all sorts of bizarre methods (ant colony, swarm, etc.). The most important methods in practice have been simulated annealing, and, to a lesser extent, genetic algorithms. The main drawback to simulated annealing is the relatively long computation times, though this has been alleviated by parallel versions of the algorithm (look up Studsvik's COPERNICUS code). Genetic algorithms are much more easily parallelized, but some details of implementation become tedious for LP problems (e.g. given two patterns, what makes a good "mating" scheme so that materials are conserved as well as portions of the pattern that are "good").

Either of these methods can be helped by heuristics based on experience or plain old good sense. From what I've been told by folks who have done a lot of this stuff, the automated schemes rarely produce better patterns than an experienced designer. What the automated schemes can do, however, is provide new ideas that may lead the designer toward even better patterns.

As for the most important component of it all, really speed is the critical issue. Optimizers can use any neutronics model; the better a model is, the more expensive it tends to be. Codes like ROSA or XIMAGE have quite good models that are also relatively inexpensive computationally. I think a standard practice has been to use as crude a neutronics model as possible, after which the best patterns are evaluated with a license-grade model.

If you're at all interested in the implementation of this stuff, I have a little side project called "poropy" (look it up at github) for really simple LP problems. It doesn't have burnup or thermal hydraulic feedback yet (though hopefully this summer in my spare time).

Likes rpp
Recently I saw a run of ROSA code and I was really surprised with the speed of core calculation of ROSA code.
anyone know about the neutronic models and computation methods they applied in ROSA?

libertad said:
Recently I saw a run of ROSA code and I was really surprised with the speed of core calculation of ROSA code.
anyone know about the neutronic models and computation methods they applied in ROSA?

"The neutronics model in ROSA is an accelerated version of LWRSIM."
ftp://ftp.nrg.eu/pub/www/nrg/ppt/rosa/rosamb.pdf

"The neutronics model is based upon a kernel method."
www.nrg.eu/docs/ppt/rosa/rosajt.pdf

One will have to find some papers on LWRSIM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Astronuc,
LWRWIMis really fast. I think this method is proper to only compare different LP as it became applied in ROSA. this method has not been applied in well known reactor core simulator codes because I think it is not too accurate.

Related to Optimization of Core Loading Patterns

1. What is optimization of core loading patterns?

Optimization of core loading patterns is the process of arranging the fuel assemblies in a nuclear reactor core in order to achieve the most efficient and safe operation.

2. Why is optimization of core loading patterns important?

Optimization of core loading patterns plays a crucial role in maximizing the performance and lifespan of a nuclear reactor. It also ensures safe operation and reduces the risk of accidents.

3. What factors are considered in optimizing core loading patterns?

The key factors that are considered in optimizing core loading patterns include power distribution, burnup rate, fuel utilization, and reactor safety parameters such as temperature and power peaking.

4. What methods are used in optimizing core loading patterns?

Various computational methods such as mathematical modeling, optimization algorithms, and computer simulations are used in optimizing core loading patterns. These methods take into account the various factors and constraints to find the best loading pattern.

5. What are the benefits of optimized core loading patterns?

Optimized core loading patterns can lead to improved reactor performance, longer fuel cycles, reduced fuel costs, and enhanced safety. It also helps in reducing the environmental impact of nuclear power generation.