Optimizing K-Map Solution for Prime Implicants

• Thread starter Ronaldo95163
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a problem involving Kmaps and prime implicants. The poster is confused about why there are redundant groups circled as prime implicants and questions whether prime implicants should be the largest possible group of 1s. They also mention that their solution did not consider certain implicants as essential, even though they have a don't care value. The concept of minimum cover is also brought up and it is defined as the smallest number of arguments needed to complete the function. The poster is advised to figure out which arguments are needed and which are not in order to arrive at the correct solution.
Ronaldo95163

Homework Statement

-Posted in the diagram below-

Homework Equations

-None-

The Attempt at a Solution

I posted my solution below to obtain the prime implicants...however it's 3 implicants short of the suggested solution. What I don't understand is why are there so many redundant groups circled as prime implicants?

Shouldn't prime implicants be the largest possible group of 1s?
For example A'B is redundant as all its minterms are present in other groups...and this is the case for a few others...so I gave it a try on my own and what I got is shown in the picture.

It also didn't consider A'B and BD as essential implicants even though they have the don't care which is considered as 1 in this case that are not covered any other prime implicants

Also what do they mean by minimum cover?

Thanks

This is my solution:
20160510_171031.jpg

Attachments

• kmap.png
    kmap.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 496
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the problem is giving you many different possible ways to compelte the Kmap.

I think you need to figure out which ones are needed and which arent. In short, it looks like you took the right steps, now you simply need to answer the qeustion asked.

the minimum cover is the smallest number of arguments needed to complete the function.

hint: you can get rid of one of your arguments.

Related to Optimizing K-Map Solution for Prime Implicants

1. What is a K-Map Solution verification?

A K-Map Solution verification is a method used to check the accuracy of a logical solution to a Boolean algebra problem. It involves creating a Karnaugh map and comparing the resulting expression to the original problem.

2. Why is K-Map Solution verification important?

K-Map Solution verification is important because it ensures that the logical solution to a Boolean algebra problem is correct. It helps to identify any errors or mistakes in the solution, allowing for corrections to be made and accurate results to be obtained.

3. What are the steps involved in K-Map Solution verification?

The steps involved in K-Map Solution verification are: creating a Karnaugh map, simplifying the expression using Boolean algebra rules, comparing the simplified expression to the original problem, and checking for any errors or discrepancies.

4. How does K-Map Solution verification differ from other methods of solution verification?

K-Map Solution verification differs from other methods of solution verification in that it is specifically designed for Boolean algebra problems. It utilizes a visual representation (the Karnaugh map) and simplification techniques to verify the accuracy of the solution.

5. Are there any limitations to K-Map Solution verification?

Yes, there are some limitations to K-Map Solution verification. It is only applicable to Boolean algebra problems and may not work for more complex or non-Boolean problems. It also relies on the accuracy of the original problem and the simplification techniques used in the solution.